Vellum Venom Vignette: 2015 Camry Regression Analysis (Part II)
This is how you mildly refresh an existing model.
Yes, Toyota made a uniquely ugly 2015 Camry for us Yankees. They styled to the lowest common denominator (i.e. every frickin’ cliche in a modern designer’s toolkit) while the “Global” 2015 Camry has an upmarket presense. It apes the price point where Less is More, the place where Audi survives and thrives.
Sure, the Global 2015 Camry is no Audi. But it’s an object of desire relative to our imminent future of seeing the US-spec model on every highway, clogging our pores with mindless amounts of DLO FAIL for no good reason. Even the fascias are quite fetching, forgoing our Camry’s fake-Audi-Lexus schnoz.
Peep this video:
Now compare to what we get:
Is the grass greener on the other side? Off to you, Best and Brightest.
More by Sajeev Mehta
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Lorenzo All the efforts made over decades to reduce/eliminate NVH in ICE cars, and now they're putting noise and vibration into electric cars. It reminds me of efforts to make veggie burgers taste like meat. Vegetarians don't want the taste of meat, and meat eaters will want meat, not veggie burgers.
- Jalop1991 A true golf cart.Sure, it's a penalty box inside. But you're not in it for more than a few minutes at a time during commutes and in between charging stops.Ergo, it's the perfect...golf cart.
- Zipper69 I'm sure it will sell just fine at all trim levels.I'd only note that IMHO the dashboard is a bit of a busy mess.
- MaintenanceCosts Why do you have to accept two fewer cylinders in your gas engine to get an electric motor? (This question also applies to the CX-90.)
- Zipper69 Do they have unique technology that might interest another manufacturer?