Honda Civic Type-R Ushers In The Turbo Era
As is standard operating procedure for Honda, the Civic Type-R has been revealed, nominally labeled a “concept”, even though the production car will look nearly identical.
This will be the first performance-minded Honda to use forced induction, with a 2.0L VTEC 4-cylinder making in excess of 278 horsepower thanks to turbocharging. Active dampers and a sport mode, dubbed “+R”, will give the new Civic the qualitative chops needed to compete with the Volkswagen Golf GTi, Ford Focus ST and other current generation hot hatches.
North American buyers will likely not get the wild looking hatch seen here, but hopefully the boosted VTEC four-banger makes its way here in the next Civic Si.
More by Derek Kreindler
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Redapple2 Love the styling of the amazon delivery thingy.
- Dukeisduke One of the stories in today's Autoline Daily says Rivian could run out of cash in two years (they've got $7.8b in the bank now, and burned through $3.7b last year.). They've got to get to scale on the R2 to turn a profit. Remember, Tesla lost money for ten years, then finally got to scale with the Model 3.
- Oberkanone Sign me up for the Abarth 500 EV with 250 miles range and sub 5 second 0-60 mph with MSRP of $24,999.$34,095 for 150 miles range. Ridiculous. Stand alone showrooms in USA for FIAT and Alfa. What a ginormous waste of capital.
- Dave M. I'd bet they'd sell more if they ditched the L'il Orphan Annie headlights....
- Dukeisduke I'm sure these will be well loved by all eight of the people that buy them.The OG ones have gone up in price since I saw them listed in 2019. Back then, low-mileage 2016 and 2017 models were going for $5k. Now they're $8k-$10k. But I'll bet that's just inflation.