You Won't Need A License To Drive This Renault

Derek Kreindler
by Derek Kreindler
you won t need a license to drive this renault

Renault will start selling their Twizy electric vehicle in the United Kingdom, and the new vehicle is causing some headaches for UK regulators, who will have to establish a new vehicle category for it.

Limited to 28 mph, the Twizy would be classified as a new type of quadricycle due to its small size and 772 lb curb weight. 16 year olds would have to pass some kind of knowledge and practical exam, but they wouldn’t need a driver’s license to operate a Twizy.

While the Twizy would only cost $9,863, Renault’s Andy Heiron said that insurance premiums (which are exorbitantly high for young drivers in the UK) could be as high as $6363 for drivers under the age of 18 – though they would be heavily reduced as drivers got older. As novel as the concept of a city car for young people may be, the astronomical insurance figures will kill this thing long before the goofy appearance, or the reduced costs of a scooter begin to come in to play.

Join the conversation
13 of 31 comments
  • Another_pleb Another_pleb on Mar 29, 2012

    The idea of young motorists getting their hands on a vehicle without adequate training and being able to demonstrate a minimum level of practical competence fills me with dread. When the young driver of a Twizy finally gets around to graduating up to a Twingo, they will have learned so many bad habits that they will probably require more training from their ADI than someone with no prior experience to pass their test.

  • R H R H on Mar 30, 2012

    How does the "unlicensed" version work legally in UK? Anyone know? Can people who have had their licenses yanked still drive these ? Are people who drive these required to carry liability insurance? Are these going to be plated? My biggest fear is these end up like bicycles with no responsibility needed for the driver.....except these can kill peds/motorcyclists/bicyclists a lot easier in an accident.

    • See 5 previous
    • Another_pleb Another_pleb on Mar 30, 2012

      @another_pleb I think the bike needs to produce under 12.5 bhp so you'd need some sort of a restrictor valve on the exhaust.

  • Herm Herm on Mar 30, 2012

    I dont think this is really intended for kids, grownups will be all over them as a city car (from what I read in the european electric forums).. much more dignified than a moped but they need to fit some doors for when it rains. I believer there are also subsidies that are not mentioned in the article.

    • Charly Charly on Mar 30, 2012

      It has doors. It just looks cooler without them. They are often used by persons with disabilities and as such can get subsidies.

  • Steven Lang Steven Lang on Mar 30, 2012

    A few things... 1) You can get an old beater in the UK for a cheap, cheap price these days. 2) If that fails, you can get a scooter. 3) If even that fails, you can take a heaping load of public transportation for the overall ownership costs of this machine. Plus have enough coinage to vacation in Spain and enjoy the rioting. Who said toy the rich? Ding! Ding! Ding! Two points for you!

    • See 1 previous
    • Charly Charly on Mar 30, 2012

      This is definitely not a toy for the rich. It is for people who can't get a driver license (for non-alcoholic reasons). And i doubt that a beater is cheaper for people who aren't mechanics