Housekeeping: Happy Memorial Day

Tim Healey
by Tim Healey

You may have noticed a slowdown in posts this afternoon. That’s because it’s Memorial Day weekend and I told the staff to knock off early.

Hopefully, you’ve already punched out and are reading this from someplace other than your office.

We’ll have a few posts here and there throughout the weekend, but we’re off Monday. So enjoy the barbecues, the Indy 500, and the pool, and don’t forget why this holiday exists in the first place (to honor war dead, since you forgot).

See you Tuesday. Until then, play nice and don’t drink and/or text and drive.

Tim Healey
Tim Healey

Tim Healey grew up around the auto-parts business and has always had a love for cars — his parents joke his first word was “‘Vette”. Despite this, he wanted to pursue a career in sports writing but he ended up falling semi-accidentally into the automotive-journalism industry, first at Consumer Guide Automotive and later at He also worked as an industry analyst at Mintel Group and freelanced for, CarFax,, High Gear Media, Torque News,,, among others, and of course Vertical Scope sites such as,, and He’s an urbanite and as such, doesn’t need a daily driver, but if he had one, it would be compact, sporty, and have a manual transmission.

More by Tim Healey

Join the conversation
7 of 25 comments
  • WheelMcCoy WheelMcCoy on May 26, 2018

    "I told the staff to knock off early." Thanks for reminding me there are still bosses like you. And yes, will pause to remember the fallen, and then embrace the living.

  • Sub-600 Sub-600 on May 26, 2018

    I’m going on record and predicting a fourth Indy 500 win for Helio tomorrow.

  • CKNSLS Sierra SLT CKNSLS Sierra SLT on May 26, 2018

    Just got back from a trip to Europe including Normandy Beach and the American Cemetery where (40%) of those who were killed are buried. It should be noted that the other 60% of the dead were relocated back to the states-by the U.S government if that was what the family wanted. You look at all those white crosses and you really realize "freedom isn't free". I currently have a Son serving in a place I can't even mention.....

    • See 1 previous
    • Civicjohn Civicjohn on May 26, 2018

      CKNSLS, +1. And I hope your son comes back safely and thank him for his service. I watched “Saving Private Ryan” yesterday to get my head on straight, about what this “ holiday” really means. My stepfather fought in the Korean War and it always makes me hurt to hear his stories. I’ve given up 20+ first class seats becausie the soldiers deserved the upgrade more than I. I’ve been sent a number of letters, I really enjoyed the letters from the ones going into the Seal Team, truly amazing what th

  • 33873 33873 on May 26, 2018

    Memorial Day is about remembering and honoring dead soldiers. I think of all the 18, 19, 20 year old's that were killed far from their families. Most died violently before their life really got started while we pound hot dogs or buy a new car or appliance on sale. The fact people celebrate this day makes me cringe.

    • SCE to AUX SCE to AUX on May 26, 2018

      "The fact people celebrate this day makes me cringe." Why? Celebrate your freedom while remembering its cost - there is no shame in it. Memorial Day is a time to memorialize, not mourn.