Tesla Teases a Big Rig; Musk Wants Your Car to Go Sledding
Break out the acai berry juice — there’s another futuristic transportation vision emerging from the fevered mind of Tesla CEO Elon Musk.
During a TED talk in Vancouver on Friday, Musk teased an image of his company’s upcoming electric big rig. The vehicle, scheduled for a September reveal, isn’t the only truck bound for Tesla showrooms — the automaker expects to debut a pickup in the next 18 to 24 months.
While we’ve known about the impending semi truck for some time, Musk also choose Friday to drop a video showing what he feels is the Next Big Thing in efficient transportation: underground electric sleds for your car.
If you’re the type who doesn’t follow the latest Tesla/Musk news with breathless anticipation, you’ve probably never heard of The Boring Company. No, not Hewlett-Packard. The Boring Company is Musk’s latest venture, designed to bring about an underground solution to above-ground gridlock.
The company, which is already testing a tunnel boring machine at Musk’s SpaceX headquarters, wants cars to drive onto elevator platforms disguised as roadside parking spots, after which the vehicle and platform is lowered into a tunnel. The Tron-like platform — basically a wheeled, electrically powered sled — then transports the vehicle via an automated underground highway at speeds reaching 124 miles per hour.
More by Steph Willems
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Art_Vandelay Autonomous capabilities are being deployed (or planned anyway) in multiple combat vehicles. Should be fun from my perspective
- Drew8MR Interior is trivial now you can get repro everything in various levels of quality. Getting the top sorted will be a couple grand, but I'd drive it as it. I drove a $1500 67 GTO convertible for 20 years, not every old car needs to be like new.
- John Not everyone pays that much for power. Mine is 10 cents per kw…..
- TheEndlessEnigma I didn't need another reason to stay away from NYC, and yet I was handed another reason.
- Analoggrotto Telluride makes more sense. If it can win the wars of suburbia there is no batllefield on earth that can stop this mighty ATP smokin' yogabox.