Junkyard Find: 1990 Chrysler New Yorker Landau
My quest for junkyard Chrysler New Yorkers has become something of an obsession lately. We’ve seen this ’85, this ’89, this ’64, this ’92, and this ’82 in the series, and today I’ve bagged a K-platform (actually C-platform, but it’s a K at heart) ’90 New Yorker Landau in Colorado.
Yes, the hokey vinyl-covered landau roof survived into the 1990s in Detroit; as far as I can tell, the last year for a New Yorker with this option was 1993. That’s right, we haven’t even gone 20 years since Chrysler killed the vinyl landau roof!
The 1988-93 New Yorker was really just a pimped-out version of the not-quite-Superfly-grade Dodge Dynasty. When I launch my Spec Dynasty racing series and become wealthier than Big Bill France ever was, I will allow the Dynasty-sibling New Yorkers to race as well.
Does Chrysler still use these crystal Pentastar emblems on any door panels these days? I’m assuming that they bought 50 million of them back in 1988 and still have warehouses full of the things.
Much as we make fun of these cars, they turned out to be surprisingly comfortable on the road, and not any less reliable than most of their Detroit competition.
You’ll find one in every car, kid. You’ll see.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- 28-Cars-Later I'm actually surprised at this and not sure what to make of it. In recent memory Senator Biden has completely ignored an ecological disaster in Ohio, and then ignored a tragic fire in Hawaii until his handlers were goaded in sending him and his visit turned into it's own disaster, but we skipped nap time for this sh!t show? Seriously? We really are through the looking glass now, "votes" no longer matter (Hillary almost won being the worst presidential candidate since 1984 before he claimed the crown) and outside of Corvette nostalgia Joe doesn't care let alone know what day it happens to be. Could they really be afraid of Trump, who AFAIK has planned no appearance or run his mouth on this issue? Just doesn't make sense, granted this is Clown World so maybe its my fault for trying to find sense in a senseless act.
- Tassos If you only changed your series to the CORRECT "Possibly Collectible, NOT Daily Driver, NOT Used car of the day", it would sound much more accurate AND TRUTHFUL.Now who would collect THIS heap of trash for whatever misguided reason, nostalgia for a much worse automotive era or whatever, is another question.
- ToolGuy Price dropped $500 overnight. (Wait 10 more days and you might get it for free?)
- Slavuta Must be all planned. Increase price of cars, urbanize, 15 minutes cities. Be poor, eat bugs
- Sid SB Not seen a Core without the performance pack yet. Prefer the more understated look of the Core vs the Circuit, but both are great fun to drive.