What's Wrong With This Picture: Citroen Rescues The Van Edition
Citroen has been catching our eye of late with its “anti-retro” DS line, and the Tubik Concept looks likely to keep the trend rolling. Inspired by the classic H-Type delivery van, the Tubik takes an aged aesthetic and pumps it full of futuristic French élan. Yes it’s miles from a production model, and more loaded down with more conceptual details and avant-garde styling elements than a Berlin disco, but it accomplishes two basic tasks: first, it shows how well classic French design can be adapted to a fast-changing future, and second, it shows that vans do not have to be dull, utilitarian things. In this age of dull crossovers and anonymous international design, these are accomplishments worth noting. And the Tubik is a design that’s worth remembering.
Wmba on Sep 05, 2011
What exactly is the question that this thing answers? Enhanced commercial practicality? Hardly. A French update of the Oskar Mayer Wienermobile to fit tiny back roads? No, too chic. Ah yes, a 2011 paean to the Buckminster Fuller Dymaxion with wheels discreetly moved outwards, clothed in Nissan Joke semi-spatted mini fenders, the latest faux Audi grille, decontented to meet cost targets, and supersonic ramjet air intakes cunningly arranged above the windshield. Very nice. Pour un cochon.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- FreedMike That wagon is yummy.
- Syke Thanks, somehow I missed that.
- 285exp I am quite sure that it is a complete coincidence that they have announced a $7k price increase the same week that the current administration has passed legislation extending the $7k tax credit that was set to expire. Yep, not at all related.
- Syke Is it possible to switch the pure EV drive on and off? Given the wonderful throttle response of an EV, I could see the desirability of this for a serious off-roader. Run straight ICE to get to your off-roading site, switch over the EV drive during the off-road section, then back to ICE for the road trip back home.
- ToolGuy Historical Perspective Moment:• First-gen Bronco debuted in MY1966• OJ Simpson Bronco chase was in 1994• 1966 to 1994 = 28 years• 1994 to now = 28 yearsFeel old yet?