What's Wrong With This Picture: A5 Is Alive Edition
The A5 is a crucial element of Audi’s fashion-nugget appeal, and these things have to move with the times lest the times move them. Post-update, the A5 now looks far more like its smallest (and to be fair, its newest) sibling, the A1… at least around the all-important headlights. The big news under the skin is that the old V8 has left the building, as the S5 will now be powered by the S4’s supercharged 3 liter V6. There’s also a new electro-mechanical steering system, active brake leveling, a new middle diff on AWD models and a newly-available rear “sport differential.” It’s not yet clear how many of these upgrades and options the US market will be offered (here’s one hint: we won’t get the slick four-door “Sportback” version you see in the gallery), but really, with a car like this don’t the pictures say everything? I’m not saying the A5 is a car people buy solely for its looks, but… oh, who am I kidding?
Autobahner44 on Jul 13, 2011
Glad I went with the 2011 A5, and didn't wait for the 2012. The marketing reasons for the facelift are understandable, but they've just taken D'Silva's masterpiece and popped an A1 (or new A3, as shown in Geneva) nose on it. Not making it any better, just different... I think the value of mine just increased.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- RHD The initial asking price is excessive by a power of ten. By the author's own words, it's slow, wallowy, has lousy steering, cramped back seats, and is based on the Torino. It has only 29,000 miles because no one ever wanted to drive this barge. Anything would be better than this outdated land yacht. To call it "mediocre" would be a compliment. 15 grand can buy a hell of a better vehicle than this heap from the days of poor build quality, half-assed emissions equipment, excessive thirst and warmed-over, obsolete equipment. Ford should be ashamed for building this junk, which would embarrass anyone owning it. The seller is hoping and praying that some incognizant drunk will accidently hit "buy it now" at three in the morning.
- SCE to AUX $15,000?!Maybe $5-8k, since it is fairly clean. A Malaise-era 302 made 139 HP, and with the C6 behind it, got you to 60 in 13.8 seconds. It's a highway cruiser.Fords of this era rusted like crazy, too. I was raised on Fords of this era, so it has sentimental value - but not $15k worth, even with only 29k on it.
- Art Vandelay Once people get past range anxiety and charge times come down I believe you’ll see someone try to bring the barge back. The world may be ready for a car that isolates the driver from the outside world
- Bfisch81 c'est pas mal! je l'aime!
- Dukeisduke The 1985 version is my favorite. I was a huge fan of their WRC effort about 20 years ago, when Sebastien Loeb was their top driver, so I have some of their swag, like a t-shirt, button-down shirt, and a team jacket. I've never been a fan of the 2009 and 2016 "double boomerang" logos.The new logo is a throwback to the 1919 logo.