Mercedes-Maybach 'Grillin' It' With Updated Styling Cues
Returning from the dead in 2014, Mercedes’ ultra-luxury Maybach sub-brand has become the only way to make absolutely certain you’ve purchased highest-spec S-class in existence.
There was a problem, however. With the exception of a handful of subtle visual cues, there was no way to distinguish it from the standard fare. While a single glance at the interior would obliterate any doubt that this car was a cut above the norm, external indicators were dependent on the vehicle’s added length and badging.
That’s no way to arrive at a high-profile event, so Mercedes-Maybach has decided to guarantee the rest of society is aware you’re riding in something special via a new grille and optional two-tone paintwork. The updated visuals certainly separates the Maybach-branded S-Class from the rest of Daimler’s lineup, but it also might make it too reminiscent of the cars that ultimately forced the brand into an early grave.
Thankfully for parent company Daimler, Maybach’s relatively strong sales in China, Russia and the United States makes a repeat of this unlikely.
Still, plenty of people will accuse the vertically slatted grille and two-tone gloss of having an aftermarket gaudiness that’s unbecoming of a serious luxury brand. But based on initial looks, the finished product really doesn’t leave much to complain about. The contrasting paint scheme is isolated to the roofline, where it should be, and the grille straddles the line between contemporary and vintage.
Either way, the nine different color combinations are entirely optional. Also available is a new double clearcoat on all dark colors. Maybach claims the double glazing creates a “piano lacquer effect and a special impression of depth.” Elite shoppers also have their pick of three 20‑inch multi-spoke wheels, including one set that’s reminiscent of the ultra-sexy Mercedes-Maybach S‑Cabriolet’s.
New interior colors are also on offer: armagnac brown/black and savanna beige/black. The black Maybach uses nappa leather upholstery appointments that can be ordered with a choice of copper, gold, or platinum-colored contrasting topstitching. Inserts can also take on the Designo Magnolia “Flowing Lines” wood treatment.
North American Maybach sedans will still come in S560 4Matic and S650 trims, with the former using a 469-horsepower V8. The latter will make use of a 621-hp V12. Pricing should be announced later this year, with the cars expected to hit dealerships in late summer. Hopefully, you’ve been saving up.
[Image: Daimler AG]
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Xidex i haven't even turned the dial to AM since the 90's I think at that time it was only because there is one station i liked was on the AM dial (it is no longer around) Someone had to point to the station otherwise i wouldn't have even scanned the AM dial. I still think the AM dial should be left on radios though, If no one listened to it then there wouldn't be any stations would there.
- Kwik_Shift I have five AM stations preset, each different from one another in terms of content. Some politics, some day to day, some do it yourselfing or help. Focus is more on local news and events. FM is just about pushing crap music and djs pushing the MSM message for their corporate overlords. FM is about making radio sound exactly the same all over North America. I like ONE FM station that plays different varieties of country music and has an entertaining dj. Overall, to each their own.
- Kat Laneaux What's the benefits of this as opposed to the Ford or Nissan. Will the mileage be better than the 19 city, 24 hwy? Will it cost less than the average of $60,000? Will it be a hybrid?
- Johnster Minor quibble. The down-sized full-sized 1980-only Continental (which was available with Town Car and Town Coupe trims) gave up its name in 1981 and became the Town Car. The name "Town Coupe" was never used after the 1980 model year. The 1981 Lincoln Town Car was available with a 2-door body style, but the 2-door Lincoln Town Car was discontinued and not offered for the 1982 model year and never returned to the Lincoln lineup.
- Zipper69 Some discreet dwebadging and this will pass for a $95k Lucid Air...
The upper shade on the two tone should have extended down into the trunk lid. It looks odd and forced just cut off above the license plate.
Who decided to match black with bamboo pearl? And the pillar chrome doesn't work in the middle, and never has. A bad afterthought on a very expensive vehicle. I'd rather the Bentley or Rolls option.