Nissan to Debut U.S.-bound Qashqai in Detroit
Nissan will add the overseas Qashqai crossover to its U.S. lineup, with the model debuting at next month’s North American International Auto Show in Detroit, multiple sources tell TTAC.
Pressed into domestic service to satisfy a crossover-hungry marketplace, the compact Qashqai will slot just below the popular Rogue.
Sources tell TTAC the Qashqai will not replace an existing model. Adding a new crossover allows the automaker to shore up its product portfolio in a country that’s rapidly switching from passenger cars to utility vehicles.
Given that the model — in its current form — has rolled off the company’s Sunderland, UK assembly line since the 2014 model year, bringing the Qashqai to America doesn’t pose a challenge. However, keeping up with demand could be an issue, assuming the model performs as well as it does in overseas markets.
The model first bowed for the 2007 model year, and has since become Nissan’s best-selling product in Europe. There, the Qashqai rules the midsize crossover segment, which is similar to the compact class in North America.
Looking very much like a Rogue Light, the Qashqai is offered overseas with a lineup of gasoline and diesel four-cylinder engines. We don’t know powertrain details just yet, but expect the U.S.-bound model to reach into the four-banger parts bin for propulsion. A continuously variable transmission should carry over.
In terms of dimensions, the Qashqai is certainly closer to the Rogue than the Juke. At 104.2 inches, the Qashqai’s wheelbase is only 2.3 inches shorter than the Rogue’s, while overall length, at 172 inches, undercuts its larger stablemate by about 10 inches.
No release date was given, but we expect the Qashqai to appear late next year as a 2018 model.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Kwik_Shift I have five AM stations preset, each different from one another in terms of content. Some politics, some day to day, some do it yourselfing or help. Focus is more on local news and events. FM is just about pushing crap music and djs pushing the MSM message for their corporate overlords. FM is about making radio sound exactly the same all over North America. I like ONE FM station that plays different varieties of country music and has an entertaining dj. Overall, to each their own.
- Kat Laneaux What's the benefits of this as opposed to the Ford or Nissan. Will the mileage be better than the 19 city, 24 hwy? Will it cost less than the average of $60,000? Will it be a hybrid?
- Johnster Minor quibble. The down-sized full-sized 1980-only Continental (which was available with Town Car and Town Coupe trims) gave up its name in 1981 and became the Town Car. The name "Town Coupe" was never used after the 1980 model year. The 1981 Lincoln Town Car was available with a 2-door body style, but the 2-door Lincoln Town Car was discontinued and not offered for the 1982 model year and never returned to the Lincoln lineup.
- Zipper69 Some discreet dwebadging and this will pass for a $95k Lucid Air...
- Zipper69 Does it REALLY have to be a four door?Surely a truly compact vehicle could stick with the half-door access with jump seats for short term passengers.
Sunderland Juke don't match Oppama in build quality. Is there a Star Wars called Qashgai? Or is it Nissan can't spell quality no more?
The thing sells like hotcakes in the UK, where the new car market is now wall to wall crossover / CUVs. Usually bought by the type of person who would never buy French, yet are happy to poorly drive (taller vehicles have different blindspots!) / badly park what is effectively a jumped up Renault Megane.