Face Odyssey: Restyled Lexus IS Unwrapped in Beijing
The refreshed Lexus IS bowed today at the Beijing Motor Show, presenting an even hungrier face than before.
Lexus kept the well-defined proportions of the entry-level sedan intact, but went to town on the front end. The corporate spindle grille now sports a higher cinch point and spacetime-bending three-dimensional mesh.
Redesigned headlamps flank the new maw, with significantly enlarged air intakes poised to inhale the stars and spiral galaxies the grille missed. Performance models receive functional brake ducts.
Standard 10-spoke, 17-inch polished wheels brighten up the sedan’s flanks, while enhanced light guides in the LED taillamps and rectangular exhaust tips freshen up the rear.
Inside, the IS sees its multimedia screen grow from seven to 10.3 inches and gain higher resolution. Possibly in response to customer criticism, Lexus has added “Enter” buttons to the side of the center console’s Remote Touch Interface. A larger dose of safety now comes standard, via the Lexus Safety System + suite of driver’s aids.
One thing that hasn’t changed is the IS lineup, with vanilla and F-Sport models carrying over as before. The turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder and 3.5-liter V6 (in two flavors) both return.
[Images: Toyota Motor Corporation]
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Chuck Norton And guys are having wide spread issues with the 10 speed transmission with the HP numbers out of the factory......
- Zerofoo "Hyundais just got better and better during the 1990s, though, and memories of those shoddy Excels faded."Never. A friend had an early 90s Hyundai Excel as his college beater. One day he decided that the last tank of gas he bought was worth more than the car. He drove it to empty and then he and his fraternity brothers pushed it into the woods and left it there.
- Kwik_Shift There are no new Renegades for sale within my geographic circle of up to 85 kms. Looks like the artificial shortage game. They bring one in, 10 buyers line up for it, $10,000 over MSRP. Yeah. Like with a lot of new cars.
- Ribbedroof In Oklahoma, no less!
- Ribbedroof Have one in the shop for minor front collision repairs right now,I've seen more of these in the comments than in the 30 years I've been in collision repair.
This will look extra ugly with a front plate. Anyone else cringe when seeing these bigger more recent spindle grills with a plate tacked off to the side? It just does not work. Please fix it.
When will the Large Mouth Bass front end look finally go the way of sagging pants?