2015 Mercedes-AMG GLA45 to Bow at 2014 Detroit Auto Show
Aimed at the same younger audience the CLA was designed to attract, Mercedes-AMG will debut their GLA45 at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show.
Under the hood of the compact SUV is Affenbach’s twin-scroll turbocharged 2-liter four-pot driving 355 horsepower and 332 lb-ft torque through a dual-clutch seven-speed transmission to all four wheels. The power plant is capable of pushing the GLA45 from nil to 60 in 4.8 seconds, topping out at an electronically limited 155 mph.
Regarding the transmission, drivers can select from four modes of power management, ranging from full control in Manual and Sport modes (similar to the SLS AMG GT), to Momentary M Mode (found in the SLS AMG Coupé Black Series) and Controlled Efficiency, the latter for those times when fuel efficiency and comfort are a greater need than all-out speed. Stop-start function is also available in Controlled Efficiency mode.
Though biased toward the front pair of wheels, the GLA45’s performance-oriented 4MATIC system can send more power to the back when driving in anger, especially upon launch through the fully integrated power take-off unit. Meanwhile, the SUV’s electronic stability program now includes a Curve Dynamic Assist so as to prevent understeer while diving into a switchback.
The GLA45 will arrive in showrooms later this year.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Kat Laneaux What's the benefits of this as opposed to the Ford or Nissan. Will the mileage be better than the 19 city, 24 hwy? Will it cost less than the average of $60,000? Will it be a hybrid?
- Johnster Minor quibble. The down-sized full-sized 1980-only Continental (which was available with Town Car and Town Coupe trims) gave up its name in 1981 and became the Town Car. The name "Town Coupe" was never used after the 1980 model year. The 1981 Lincoln Town Car was available with a 2-door body style, but the 2-door Lincoln Town Car was discontinued and not offered for the 1982 model year and never returned to the Lincoln lineup.
- Zipper69 Some discreet dwebadging and this will pass for a $95k Lucid Air...
- Zipper69 Does it REALLY have to be a four door?Surely a truly compact vehicle could stick with the half-door access with jump seats for short term passengers.
- ToolGuy See kids, you can keep your old car in good condition.
I actually like this thing. I haven't liked an MB car in a long time. Still, it's got too much grill.
It shouldn't be called the 45 unless it has a 4.5L V8. Which it clearly cannot. I might also note this is NOT a good looking car. AMG used to mean something special had been done to the car, it wasn't essentially a trim package! A M G, Any Machine Granted. But whatever, women in their 20s will lease them and then return em, and some dudes who think an STI is too normal will grab them up of the used lot.