What's Wrong With This Picture: The Sebring Connection Edition
Now that Chrysler has released full side-on images of its new “200” sedan, its Sebring heritage is plain to see. But will a new name, a new V6, improved handling and a new interior be enough to get D-segment shoppers to forget the Sebring’s ignominy and head back to Chrysler showrooms?
Cpmanx on Nov 15, 2010
Remember, this is a quickie refresh of the Sebring. It not only retains the old car's hard points, it retains almost all of the sheet metal except for the front and rear caps. For this stopgap update, Chrysler focused on powertrain, suspension, and interior--the weakest points on the Sebring. Based on the early photos and released specs, all three of those should be much improved. The exterior changes are just enough to flag the other, more significant changes. The one thing that baffles me is the same thing that baffled Mazder3: that absurd bit of black plastic on the C-pillar. If you took it off the roofline would look more organic, and for essentially zero cost Chrysler would have created the appearance of a different side profile. I'm surprised they left it there. As for the idea that Dodge and Jeep will fade away to make place for Fiats--not going to happen. Fiat has zero brand equity in this country, Chrysler sales are starting to perk up even before most of the improved product shows up, and Fiat has been very clear that its product plan does not include lots of Fiat-badged cars in the U.S.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- 285exp I am quite sure that it is a complete coincidence that they have announced a $7k price increase the same week that the current administration has passed legislation extending the $7k tax credit that was set to expire. Yep, not at all related.
- Syke Is it possible to switch the pure EV drive on and off? Given the wonderful throttle response of an EV, I could see the desirability of this for a serious off-roader. Run straight ICE to get to your off-roading site, switch over the EV drive during the off-road section, then back to ICE for the road trip back home.
- ToolGuy Historical Perspective Moment:• First-gen Bronco debuted in MY1966• OJ Simpson Bronco chase was in 1994• 1966 to 1994 = 28 years• 1994 to now = 28 yearsFeel old yet?
- Ronnie Schreiber From where is all that electricity needed to power an EV transportation system going to come? Ironically, the only EV evangelist that I know of who even mentions the fragile nature of our electrical grid is Elon Musk. None of the politicians pushing EVs go anywhere near it, well, unless they are advocating for unreliable renewables like wind and solar.
- FreedMike I just don’t see the market here - I think about 1.2% of Jeep drivers are going to be sold on the fuel cost savings here. And the fuel cost savings are pretty minimal, per the EPA: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2022&year2=2022&make=Jeep&baseModel=Wrangler&srchtyp=ymm&pageno=1&rowLimit=50Annual fuel costs for this vehicle are $2200 and $2750 for the equivalent base turbo-four model. I don’t get it.