Pick Your Polo Poison
February 19th, 2010 1:18 PM Share
Before you choose, remember, this Polo GTI won’t be coming to the United States when the nameplate arrives sometime next year. In fact, no three-door hatch is planned for America at all, since VW has decided to go the Echo route and only sell sedan-bodied Polos stateside. Well, with one exception…
A “Polo Plus” for plus-sized Americans is planned. “It’s more like a cross between a compact minivan and a hatchback. In other words, it’s more like the Honda Fit,” says VWoA’s Stephan Jacoby. This 2011 Cross Polo, which will take a bow at the upcoming Geneva Auto Show, could just be a preview of the model VW has in mind. You know, without all the expensive, high-tech European engines.
Published February 19th, 2010 1:18 PM
Join the conversation
2 of 32 comments
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Wheatridger Correct me if I'm wrong, but has the widescreen digital dash usurped the space formerly occupied in every other car by an HVAC vent? I see one prominent vent well right of center, where there should be two. I rely on twin driver's side vents to warm my hands on cold mornings, and I wouldn't give that up for more screen area.
- Dawn Maple They haven't even fixed the airbag issues and recalls completely, so why waste more time and money on another "safety feature" that removes choices from the driver? We would be safer getting in a car driven by Helen Keller. Oh wait with driver assist, all she has to do is find her car and turn it on.
- Lorenzo I'm out. I'd never find it in the dark.
- VoGhost Minivans don't sell well, and the market has been declining. And while the entire 'range anxiety' myth is mostly a big oil propaganda designed to scare the weak minded, minivans are often how families travel to grandma's house, so that will be a concern, unless VW can gain access to the Supercharger network. I could see 50K units at peak, declining to 25K/year after a couple of years, unless VW can price competitively with Tesla.
- VoGhost Glad you're healthy, Tim
I read somewhere, in the last day or two that this Polo GTI will be equipped with a 1.4 liter part supercharged/part turbocharged, 180 HP engine...which sounds really great...Then, to take all the wind out of those sails...it will be available only with the slam-bang, 7 speed VW automatic(automated manual)..No standard shift...Hmmm nothing sporty about a little tiny car with an automatic tranny to me... dragonfly
I never understood why small sedans sells in the usa, and not hatchbacks. The only ones that buys small sedans here are cheap/poor senior citizens. Younger people buy hatchbacks.