Opel’s German unions want a deal with management before Christmas, Opel works council Chairman Wolfgang Schaefer-Klug told Reuters in an interview. Here the cliff notes:
- Does not believe in Ford-style closures, expects the cuts to be “far milder.”
- Says Opel management is not looking to close any other German plant than Bochum.
- Offers to shorten work week to cushion downturn.
- Mokka should be built in Europe regardless of Korean impact.
- Says GM board members that see Opel as dead weight are not in majority.
- Says if GM gives up Opel, it will give up Europe.