We saw a 1990 Cavalier Z24 just a few months ago, but lately I’ve developed a sick fascination with the allegedly high-performance versions of the very popular Chevrolet Cavalier. Maybe it’s the wretchedness of the breed in the 24 Hours of LeMons, or maybe it’s the vivid purple paint job. Whatever the reason, here’s another ’90 that I found in a Denver-area yard not long ago.
The Chevy Cavalier sold in enormous quantities during its 23-year production run, and so most of them stay in the background for me at wrecking yards, much like Chrysler Sebrings and Ford Tempos. But the Cavalier Z24, on the other hand— that’s an interesting Junkyard Find!
The early 1990s was an interesting period for cheap small cars from Detroit with front-wheel-drive and enough power to edge into fun territory. You could get a Geo Storm GSi, or a Ford Escort GT, or even a Plymouth Sundance Duster. Or you could just give up completely and buy the vaguely sporty-looking Cavalier RS. These cars are surprisingly rare nowadays, considering how ubiquitous they once were, though they’re still easier to find than the somewhat quick Z24 Cavalier. Here’s an example I spotted a few days ago in a Denver self-service yard.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Urlik The best way to crush F1 politics is to be good. Looking at you Red Bull.
- Art_Vandelay Good. As an Alfa fan it will be good to have someone on the grid they might actually be capable of beating!
- Sgeffe The popcorn is blowing the lid off my popper!
- Verbal I believe Michael Andretti's F1 career lasted all of three races. He crashed out of all of them, then quit.
- Sgeffe Gotta make popcorn now...!