Used Car of the Day: 2007 Toyota F Cruiser TRD Manual
We at TTAC hope you're enjoying this new "used car of the day" feature. Remember, it's not meant to sell the cars, just to get you guys talking about some cool cars for sale -- even if that means you mocking a pick.
And for us older Millennials, one of the cooler vehicles of our generation was the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Divisive looks aside, it was a bad-ass off-roader available with three pedals. I spent a good chunk of my 20s wanting one.
Now, for about the price of a new Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, I could finally take one home. I won't, for a variety of reasons, mostly related to my bank account, but the option is available.
And believe me, this one tempts. I also liked the Acura RSX back in the day, but I wouldn't have bought the one featured here a few days ago -- too much work needed. In this case, though, the owner claims no real issues beyond some minor cosmetic imperfections. The mileage is 142K, so a bit high, but not surprising given the rig's age. The driver claims he or she only does 8K miles per year, but that must be an average since the 8K miles per year for 15 years works out to 120K miles.
The presence of a stick-shift makes this FJ at least 10 percent more desirable. Save the manuals, and all that.
There are also the TRD performance bits. One major mechanical issue to note -- the control arms have been replaced, along with the battery and alternator.
I rarely want to buy any of the vehicles featured here. I make picks based on what I think you guys will like to argue about. But this one made me pause. Buy it, so I don't have to.
Become a TTAC insider. Get the latest news, features, TTAC takes, and everything else that gets to the truth about cars first by subscribing to our newsletter.
Scott on Dec 01, 2022
An excellent pick. 2007 TRD special edition was the most well equipped FJ compared to the rest. Finding a manual in these is impossible. 141 k is nothing. Whoever buys this can probably drive this another 200 k. These cars are the bitcoin of automobiles with one of the best resell values. These will easily bring in Supra like prices in a few years. Mark my word. They do not make good vehicles like this anymore.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Redapple2 C2 is the best. C3 next. Then C7 (looking at you jimII).
- Jeff S Vulpine--True the CAFE rules are for ICE.
- Gray I grew up in the era of Panther and Fox platforms. If only they developed a good looking two door Conti. The four doors became a cult in their own right. And kept the 351W as a top line option.
- Vulpine ABSOLUTELY YES!!! Bring back the TRUE compact trucks. The demand for them is far higher than the OEMs want to admit.
- Brn More likely, with Google having troubles, the money tree isn't as ripe as it once was and cutbacks are needed.I hope the overall industry continues to evolve. When I get the the point I can't easily drive, I would still appreciate the independence that autonomous vehicles can bring.