Alfa Officially States Mileage for Tonale PHEV
Say what you will – and many have – about the name Alfa Romeo selected for its new compact crossover, there’s no denying the thing fits well into the brand’s current design language. Alfa intends for it to fit well into a customer’s monthly balance sheet as well, announcing today it expects the Tonale to run 33 miles solely on electricity and return a rating of 77 MPGe.
I’m sure there are content wonks deep within the bowels of Verticalscope in Toronto who’d much prefer we’d make you click on the article to reveal that information, but that approach irritates me and insults the reader. With that minor rant out of the way, we’ll remind you that the Tonale is powered by a 1.3L engine which tag teams an electric motor and 15.5-kWh battery to belt out 285 horsepower and a system total 347 lb.-ft of torque.
Combined fuel economy is an official 29 miles per gallon, which isn’t exactly Prius territory but neither is the power output of the Tonale. Italian style doesn’t show up for nothing, right? Still, the presence of better than 30 miles of gasoline-free driving will be more than enough to cover the daily commutes of many customers, permitting them to save a few liras at the pumps.
It is worth noting we’ve found through our own personal testing that some Stellantis PHEVs demand lighting the internal combustion fires in certain weather conditions even if the battery has ample charge, a trait worth keeping in mind if one lives in the snow belt. We'll have to wait until testing a Tonale PHEV in similar conditions to see if it exhibits the same trait. Total range on a fully charged battery and a full tank of fuel is an estimated 360 miles.
The machine will be available in three trims, all of which will be familiar to Alfaisti. Sprint models start at $42,995 and Ti variants will cost 2 grand more. The top-spec Veloce has a starting price tag of $47,495 plus $1,595 destination. It is expected the Tonale PHEV will begin arriving in dealers next month.
[Images: Alfa Romeo]
Become a TTAC insider. Get the latest news, features, TTAC takes, and everything else that gets to the truth about cars first by subscribing to our newsletter.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Bullnuke It may be awhile before these show up on US shores. The MV Fremantle Highway has just started demo/reconstruction in Rotterdam after the large fire when transporting its last shipment of electric Porsche products.
- Fie on Fiasler Big, fast and thirsty does not equal good. True luxury is not cobbled together by the UAW.
- Inside Looking Out I see it as gladiator races - only one survives in virtual world.
- Crown They need to put the EcoDiesel back in the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2018 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 69,000 miles and only needed tires, and regular oil and fuel filter changes.
- El scotto Y'all are overthinking this. Find some young hard-charging DA seeking the TV limelight to lock this kid up. Heck, have John Boehner come up from Cincy to help the young DA get his political career going. Better yet, have the young DA spin this as hard as he or she can; I'm the candidate for Law and Order, I defied our go-easy office and leadership to get this identified criminal locked up. Oh this could be spun more than a hyper active kid's top.Now I'd do some consulting work for Little Kings Original Cream Ale and Skyline Chili.