It's Monterey, Jack: RM Sotheby's Hopes to Make Bank in California
Those of you who prefer wine and cheese over beer and burgers would probably find yourself at the Monterey Car Week 2022 & Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance rather than the Woodward Dream Cruise – both are held on the third weekend of August. While your author is firmly in the latter’s camp, he appreciates the bonkers amount of money being tossed around at the former.
As they often do, RM Sotheby’s will be using the occasion to hold a high-dollar auction. Lots include the likes of a 1955 Ferrari 410 Sport Spider by Scaglietti allegedly raced by Fangio himself.
That particular car packs a 4.9L V12 engine, one which uses no fewer than 24 spark plugs to light its own fires, apparently just one of just two Factory-campaigned 410 Sports so equipped. Carrol Shelby is also said to have earned victories in this machine, purportedly winning more races as a driver in 0598 CM than any other car in his racing career: 8 wins and 10 podiums. While auction estimates are given for some other vehicles set to cross the block, such as the $9M – $11M projection for a ’58 Maserati, this particular Fezza is currently bereft of public assessment. In other words, its hammer price will likely go well into the eight figures.
Elsewhere on the docket are some more modern machines, including a vanishingly rare Lamborghini Reventón, a primo-grade 1992 Ferrari F40, and a 1991 JaguarSport XJR-15. Only fifty-three of the latter were produced, this being number 18, and they sold for half a million British pounds back in the day. Chances are strong it’ll fetch a much higher sum in August. Remember, it shares more than a few components with the famous ‘Silk Cut’ Jag of Le Mans fame, including some suspension gear. Also from the modern-day corner is a 1995 Porsche 928 GTS, arguably the finest example of that particular model.
A not-insignificant number of these cars are offered without reserve, including a 1925 Bugatti Type 30 Tourer and a 1955 Mercedes-Benz 190 SLR. So-called ‘no reserve’ vehicles are essential to an auction of this nature, lest operators end up with an embarrassingly large number of unsold machines. In this vein, there is a #24 Chevrolet Monte Carlo seemingly from Hendrick Motorsports which appears to have been raced by Jeff Gordon in multiple Bud Shootouts. Perhaps there’s a connection to Woodward, after all.
RM’s auction will run from August 18 – 20, capping off the larger event of Monterey Car Week.
[Images: RM Sotheby’s]
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Crown They need to put the EcoDiesel back in the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2018 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 69,000 miles and only needed tires, and regular oil and fuel filter changes.
- El scotto Y'all are overthinking this. Find some young hard-charging DA seeking the TV limelight to lock this kid up. Heck, have John Boehner come up from Cincy to help the young DA get his political career going. Better yet, have the young DA spin this as hard as he or she can; I'm the candidate for Law and Order, I defied our go-easy office and leadership to get this identified criminal locked up. Oh this could be spun more than a hyper active kid's top.Now I'd do some consulting work for Little Kings Original Cream Ale and Skyline Chili.
- El scotto Pondering if he has a clean brandy snifter. Well but, ah, I mean the original Grand Wagoneer was fully loaded and had a V-8. The original Grand Wagoneer had an almost cult-like following with a certain type of woman. Attractive, educated high earning women; or those that put on the appearances of being that way.Our esteemed HerR DOKtor Perfessor again shows how ignorant he is of the American market. What he deems "bread-vans on stilts" are highly coveted by significant others that are also highly coveted. The new Grand Cherokee with the new well engineered V-6 will sell as well as the ones from the 80s some of us get wistful over. The only real question will be: LL Bean or Orvis edition?
- El scotto Well, I've had cats that are smarted than a great many members of congress. I rather doubt that any of the congresspeople Matt named are engineers, finance people or project managers. Ya know, professionals you call in to get a job done.Today is Wednesday, this will be out of the 36 hour news cycle by Friday. Oh it might get mentioned again on OCT 6. Unless there are cute animals to put on TV that day.
- El scotto Oh My Good Lord Yes! Gents, this is a Caddy that carries on the soul of Caddy. Loud, brash, and apologetically American. Also large and in charge and one of GM's best evah engines. What used to be a flash roll is now bottle service.Can't deal with that reality? There are plenty of excellent SUVs/CUVs on the market. I'm a former Escape owner. The Escape was a sensible lil CUV, this Caddy is just way over the top.Canyon carver? Not a chance, this is based on a Silverado frame. Easy to park? Toss the valet the keys. Will some of the other high-end SUVs have better "soft touch" materials that make car journalist get tingly all over? Of course.This Caddy is designed to eat up huge and I mean huge amounts of American interstate miles. Four people and their luggage? Easily.