2022 Nissan NISMO GT-R Special Edition Flaunts Exclusivity
The 2022 Nissan NISMO GT-R Special Edition was unveiled today in Japan. How much more exclusive can a limited-edition sports car be? It turns out this GT-R is pretty distinctive. It’s not just a badge and some decals that sets it apart.
First, it’s painted a NISMO-exclusive color called Stealth Gray.
Rays 20-inch wheels are aluminum-forged and accented in red. I have no idea who this smiling gent is who’s blocking a better view of the wheels.
You can see the carbon fibers through the clear-coated carbon fiber hood. Yes, there are the new Nissan corporate logos on the trunk and wheel centers.
Second, it uses the VR38DETT 3.8-liter twin-turbo V6, rated at 600 horsepower and 481 lb-ft of torque on 93 octane petrol. What they say is the GT-R NISMO gets higher-precision, balanced rings, rods, crank, and valve gear dialed in with tighter tolerances. Will deliver ‘snappier engine revs and quicker turbo spooling’ is the question.
How many GT-Rs are there in the U.S.? Comparing a garden-variety GT-R to the GR-R NISMO would be quite a feat, and not likely to happen. Call it PR fluff, along with the use of takumi, master techs assembling these V6s by hand. I can see Elite Motorsports doing this for Erica Enders’ Pro Stock engines, but Nissan? Not so much.
Meanwhile, Nissan and McDonald’s Japan announced on Nissan’s LinkedIn page they are releasing a miniature GT-R NISMO replica. Available for a limited time only in Japan, it will include a McDonald’s Tomica happy set from April 30th. I know what you’re thinking. The airfare to Japan would set you back a grand or more. It’s been a long time since there’s been this much happiness in a stateside Happy Meal. Maybe their U.S. counterparts will take note.
No mention how many constitute a limited number of GT-R NISMO Special Editions. They will be on sale in North America this fall, at a price well above what we estimated previously for the last of the GT-Rs.
Bondtrade on Apr 15, 2021
My '98 SC400 was a great road trip cruiser, not a sporty handling car due to weight but at highway++ speeds.. effortless and luxury with unique sculpted eye-candy styling. Aftermarket exhaust system improvement and intake really opened up that de-tuned 4L V8 to ~320hp. Swapped GS300 17" 5-spoke rims for the stock 16s looked so much better.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Redapple2 C2 is the best. C3 next. Then C7 (looking at you jimII).
- Jeff S Vulpine--True the CAFE rules are for ICE.
- Gray I grew up in the era of Panther and Fox platforms. If only they developed a good looking two door Conti. The four doors became a cult in their own right. And kept the 351W as a top line option.
- Vulpine ABSOLUTELY YES!!! Bring back the TRUE compact trucks. The demand for them is far higher than the OEMs want to admit.
- Brn More likely, with Google having troubles, the money tree isn't as ripe as it once was and cutbacks are needed.I hope the overall industry continues to evolve. When I get the the point I can't easily drive, I would still appreciate the independence that autonomous vehicles can bring.