Help Is on the Way for GM's Full-size Trucks
No, General Motors hasn’t tapped an army of virus-resistant robot workers from Boston Dynamics to build its bread-and-butter models; rather, the pickups themselves will undergo changes to boost appeal amid potent competition from Detroit rivals.
Sometime next year, The General’s full-sizers will reportedly correct a mistake that held the duo back upon their debut.
Unfortunately, there’s no word on any exterior changes coming to the polarizing Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra siblings. Instead, it’s the inside of the trucks that stand to take on a new look. Lackluster cabins were a weak point when the new-for-2019 trucks arrived, especially when compared to Ram’s equally new 1500.
With Ford now gearing up to ship a new F-150 to dealers, GM can’t afford to leave itself exposed on any flank. Despite their, um, aggressive styling, the Silverado and Sierra boasted cabins that felt like warmed-over retreads of what came before; in high-zoot trims, the ambiance wasn’t on par with the sticker price.
Automotive News is now reporting a looming change first announced by GM Authority late last year — a rumor the publication fleshed out last month. The pickups are due for an interior overhaul next year, AN claims, hinting at a 2022MY introduction. Citing sources in the know, GM Authority said the ’22 Silverado is in line to receive the center stack and console found in the next-generation, 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban. It’s assumed the Sierra will snag choice interior bits from the GMC Yukon.
In the case of GM’s new crop of full-size SUVs, the interiors underwent vast changes, while the exterior saw an evolutionary design update. It’s the opposite of what occurred with GM’s trucks.
It’s expected that the automaker’s HD trucks, new for the 2020 model year, will see similar changes come 2022 or 2023.
[Images: Steph Willems/TTAC, General Motors]
More by Steph Willems
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Carsofchaos I'll stick with my 2005 Crown Victoria
- Tassos Jong-iL Is that Prince Harry? I have not seen him and Meagan for a long time, I hope my Dear friends are well.
- Tassos Jong-iL I would like to wish a good morning to TTAC. There has been much arguments and fighting here, and we hope today will be more peaceful.
- Lachlan Anyone remember what happened the last time a senator named Hawley pushed a big tariff?
- Craiger I love the people who call Musk an imbecile. As if they could even get an interview for a job at one of his companies.