2020 BMW M4 Edition ///M Heritage
Superfans of BMW’s M subsidiary — or, more accurately, its cars — are in for some good news. The German automaker announced an extra special heritage edition of the M4 on Tuesday. Called the BMW M4 Edition ///M Heritage, and limited exclusively to the F82 coupe, the model is supposed to commemorate everything the M Division stands for.
While that absolutely includes making BMW money, the automaker has yet to provide the model with an MSRP. That said, its special nature will undoubtedly push it beyond the model’s $70,000 base price. It’s also limited to just 750 examples worldwide, which ought to tack on a premium of its own.
Whether or not BMW comes up with a price point that makes the M Heritage a good value is largely irrelevant, however. The vehicle’s rarity will automatically position it as a collectible car, something the manufacturer was keen to note. With the next-generation of the 4 Series expected to debut, at least in concept form, next month, the M Heritage is also likely to be viewed as a send-off for the current model.
Based on the M4 Competition Package, the limited-edition coupe comes equipped with a turbocharged 3.0-liter, good for 444 horsepower and 406 lb-ft of torque, running through a seven-speed dual clutch. The Heritage brings no additional grunt to the table, instead opting to further refine the car’s Adaptive M Suspension for doubly improved handling. According to the manufacturer, that means new shocks, springs, and anti-roll bars. Driving modes have similarly been rejiggered for added performance, requiring some minor changes to the Active M Differential and dynamic stability control system.
Other inclusions are mostly cosmetic. The M Heritage comes with a set of unique 20-inch M light alloy wheels wrapped in mixed performance rubber — 265/30 R20 in the front and 285/40 R20 out back. BMW has also affixed a carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) roof adorned with a decorative stripe using traditional M colors (dark blue, light blue, and red). Car bodies also utilize these familiar hues, allowing customers to have them in either Laguna Seca Blue, Velvet Blue metallic or Imola Red.
Exterior color options spill over into interior designs. Silverstone (light gray) and black leather with turquoise stitching will accompany M4s painted in Laguna Seca Blue, while a darker blue contrast stitching will be used for cars with a Velvet Blue exterior. Meanwhile, Imola Red vehicles will receive red and black leather with red stitching. All cars will feature Merino leather M Sport seats and plated door sills indicating the car’s special edition status and production number.
The 2020 BMW M4 Edition ///M Heritage will be available in North America. You’ll just have to wait for BMW to finalize how many and for how much.
[Images: BMW Group]
Consumer advocate tracking industry trends, regulation, and the bitter-sweet nature of modern automotive tech. Research focused and gut driven.
More by Matt Posky
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- ToolGuy I appreciate the thoughtful comments from the little people here, and I would like to remind everyone that Ford Motor Company offers a full range of vehicles which are ideal for any driving environment including New York City. The size and weight our of product portfolio has been fully and completely optimized to be friendly to the planet and friendly to pedestrians while consuming the bare minimum of resources from our precious planet (I am of course a lifelong environmentalist). Plus, our performance models will help you move forward and upward by conquering obstacles and limits such as congestion and your fellow humans more quickly at a higher rate of speed. I invite you to learn more at our website.Signed, William Clay Ford Jr.
- George Hughes What ever happened to the American can-do attitude. I know what, it was coopted by the fossil fuel industry in their effort to protect their racket.
- 28-Cars-Later "But Assemblyman Phil Ting, the San Franciscan Democrat who wrote the electric school bus legislation, says this is all about the health and wellbeing of Golden State residents. In addition to the normal air pollution stemming from exhaust gasses, he believes children are being exposed to additional carcinogens by just being on a diesel bus."Phil is into real estate, he doesn't know jack sh!t about science or medicine and if media were real it would politely remind him his opinions are not qualified... if it were real. Another question if media were real is why is a very experienced real estate advisor and former tax assessor writing legislation on school busses? If you read the rest of his bio after 2014, his expertise seems to be applied but he gets into more and more things he's not qualified to speak to or legislate on - this isn't to say he isn't capable of doing more but just two years ago Communism™ kept reminding me Dr. Fauxi knew more about medicine than I did and I should die or something. So Uncle Phil just gets a pass with his unqualified opinions?Ting began his career as a real estate financial adviser at Arthur Andersen and CBRE. He also previously served as the executive director of the Asian Law Caucus, as the president of the Bay Area Assessors Association, and on the board of Equality California. [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Ting#cite_note-auto-1][/url][h3][/h3]In 2005, Ting was appointed San Francisco Assessor-Recorder in 2005 by Mayor Gavin Newsom, becoming San Francisco’s highest-ranking Chinese-American official at the time. He was then elected to the post in November 2005, garnering 58 percent of the vote.Ting was re-elected Assessor-Recorder in 2006 and 2010During his first term in the Assembly, Ting authored a law that helped set into motion the transformation of Piers 30-32 into what would become Chase Center the home of the Golden State Warriorshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Ting
- RHD This looks like a lead balloon. You could buy a fantastic classic car for a hundred grand, or a Mercedes depreciationmobile. There isn't much reason to consider this over many other excellent vehicles that cost less. It's probably fast, but nothing else about it is in the least bit outstanding, except for the balance owed on the financing.
- Jeff A bread van worthy of praise by Tassos.