QOTD: What's the Worst Looking Car From the Year You Were Born?
Today’s QOTD idea came about back in the latter half of May, when Matthew Guy pondered the exact opposite of this question. He is very old, and so in his malaise birth year of 1980 Guy pegged BMW’s 6 Series as the best looking car available.
This week, we move things to a more negative light. What was the worst looking car from the year you were born?
Oh, no it’s not that Accord Coupe, which is lovely. Most of you regulars know roughly how old I am, but for the record my birth year is 1986. After the malaise, before the Dream of the Nineties, and right in the midst of mass-market aero (here’s to you, Sable), I’ll be picking from a largely downsized and more-than-ever front-drive selection of vehicles. But which is the worst looking? Which deserves the ugly digital ink?
Ah, here we are. In its last year of production, it’s Chrysler’s Executive limousine. On sale between 1983 and 1986, Chrysler produced 1,493 of the K-car limousines. Styled like the E-Class and New Yorker, the Executive turned up the volume for its elite business customers.
Said customers may have included owners of successful video rental stores, or perhaps outlets selling scratch and dent appliances. The whole idea was sort of off-base and easily forgotten shortly afterward, which is probably for the best.
What are your picks for the worst looking vehicles from the year of your birth?
[Images: YouTube, Chrysler, Honda]
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- SCE to AUX I charge at home 99% of the time, on a Level 2 charger I installed myself in 2012 for my Leaf. My house is 1967, 150-Amp service, gas dryer and furnace; everything else is electric with no problems. I switched from gas HW to electric HW last year, when my 18-year-old tank finally failed.I charge at a for-pay station maybe a couple times a year.I don't travel more than an hour each way in my Ioniq 1 EV, so I don't deal much with public chargers. Despite a big electric rate increase this year, my car remains ridiculously cheap to operate.
- ToolGuy 38:25 to 45:40 -- Let's all wait around for the stupid ugly helicopter. 😉The wheels and tires are cool, as in a) carbon fiber is a structural element not decoration and b) they have some sidewall.Also like the automatic fuel adjustment (gasoline vs. ethanol).(Anyone know why it's more powerful on E85? Huh? Huh?)
- Ja-GTI So, seems like you have to own a house before you can own a BEV.
- Kwik_Shift Good thing for fossil fuels to keep the EVs going.
- Carlson Fan Meh, never cared for this car because I was never a big fan of the Gen 1 Camaro. The Gen 1 Firebird looked better inside and out and you could get it with the 400.The Gen 2 for my eyes was peak Camaro as far as styling w/those sexy split bumpers! They should have modeled the 6th Gen after that.
AMC Pacer and VW Thing