California Knows How to Party: 2019 Ford Mustang California Special
The Ford Mustang, recently made pointier and stripped of its middle-child V6 engine, earns a California Special package for 2019.
On the rare chance that anyone reading this is unfamiliar with the California Special’s history, it emphatically does not include surfing lessons and a being stuck on the 405. Among other items, though, it absolutely features the de rigeur GT/CS stripe because in California, there’s no point in doing something if you don’t shout about it, right?
That fading stripe stretches all the way along the Mustang’s flanks from its 5.0 badge to the fender scoop. Like most things in California that are trying to call attention to themselves, there is an extra stamp on its rear, too. Here, it is Ford’s black and red CS script. Up front is a blacked out open grille and the splitter from the Performance Pack. This author approves of that final addition, for sure.
A re-tuned five-point-oh makes 460 horsepower in the 2019 GT, pounded to the pavement by way of a six-speed manual with rev-matching that allows drivers to do an acceptable heel-and-toe impression. On downshifts, the engine rpm kicks up to smooth out the transition between gears while providing a slick exhaust burble. An automatic is optional, of course. Please don’t get it.
Friday’s special edition Challenger gained a thumping stereo and the Mustang is now available with one too, gaining an option box for a Bang & Olufsen branded audio system. This B&O Play unit has a 1,000 watt 10-channel amp and 12 speakers. The road tunes you chose this morning will be cranked out with newfound verve, then.
There have been several iterations of the California Special, stretching all the way back to 1968 when Ford, only a few years into finding success with its massively popular pony car, fired a couple of Shelby-esque rectangular fog lamps at the grille along with Shelby style tail lights and simulated air scoops. A variety of V8 engines, including the 429 Cobra Jet, could be opted.
California Specials didn’t appear from the factory again until 2007, two years after the restyled ’05 Mustang showed up at dealers. Including this new iteration, it has been offered on a total of five different Mustang bodystyles.
Elsewhere in the Mustang line, buyers now have more color choice, with new hues including Velocity Blue, Need for Green, and the Bullitt model’s exclusive Dark Highland Green. Interestingly, the EcoBoost is now available with the GT’s variable active valve performance exhaust system. You’ll remember that as the one with Good Neighbor mode that doesn’t summon a State Farm agent but allows drivers to schedule when their Mustang should bark through its exhaust and when it should mutter.
In 2016, Ford charged $1995 for the California Special package. The 2019 Mustang goes on sale this summer with prices not yet announced.
[Image: Ford Motor Company]
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Bullnuke It may be awhile before these show up on US shores. The MV Fremantle Highway has just started demo/reconstruction in Rotterdam after the large fire when transporting its last shipment of electric Porsche products.
- Fie on Fiasler Big, fast and thirsty does not equal good. True luxury is not cobbled together by the UAW.
- Inside Looking Out I see it as gladiator races - only one survives in virtual world.
- Crown They need to put the EcoDiesel back in the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2018 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 69,000 miles and only needed tires, and regular oil and fuel filter changes.
- El scotto Y'all are overthinking this. Find some young hard-charging DA seeking the TV limelight to lock this kid up. Heck, have John Boehner come up from Cincy to help the young DA get his political career going. Better yet, have the young DA spin this as hard as he or she can; I'm the candidate for Law and Order, I defied our go-easy office and leadership to get this identified criminal locked up. Oh this could be spun more than a hyper active kid's top.Now I'd do some consulting work for Little Kings Original Cream Ale and Skyline Chili.