Camaro Vs. Mustang June Update: Camaro Crumbles, Mustang Mopes
After TTAC delved into the details of the sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro’s gradual decline last month, General Motors reported the worst sales month for the Camaro since November 2014.
June 2016 sales of the Chevrolet Camaro fell to a 19-month low. With only 4,969 sales — a huge number by the standards of most sporting cars but a 40-percent drop compared with the Camaro’s five-year June average — U.S. Camaro volume fell below 5,000 units for just the second time in the last 18 months.
Newly launched this past winter, the latest Camaro’s sales have fallen well below the totals achieved by the six-year-old fifth-gen Camaro in its final — and worst — year on the market. In the first-half of 2015, GM reported 42,593 U.S. sales of the Camaro, a 9-percent year-over-year drop. Yet one year later, the new Camaro is down 14 percent to 36,834 units, a drop of 5,759 sales.
GM says that retail consumer demand for the Camaro isn’t falling, but rather it’s increasing. GM’s desire to chop Camaro fleet sales in half, we reported in June, was married to a 13-percent increase in retail demand in the first five months of 2016.
Ford, on the other hand, which sees less harm in providing daily rental fleets with iconic pony cars, sold nearly twice as many Mustangs in June as Chevrolet sold Camaros.
But even the far more common Mustang was down compared with the same period one year ago. June 2016 Mustang volume dropped 17 percent to 9,776 sales. Year-to-date, compared with its first full year in sixth-gen form, U.S. Mustang volume is down by 5,325 sales.
The Mustang wasn’t the only Detroit coupe to outperform the Camaro in June. Like the Camaro and Mustang, Dodge sold fewer Challengers in June 2016 than in June 2015. Challenger sales slid by a fifth to 5,479 units.
GM, of course, does have in its quiver another surprisingly high-volume sports car. Chevrolet Corvette sales are falling in 2016, not an unexpected turn of events given the massive figures achieved by the two-seater last year. But GM nevertheless added 2,483 Corvette sales to the Camaro’s tally in June; 14,668 in the first-half.
No high-end sports car sells anywhere near as often as the Corvette in the United States. A bundle of European sports cars – 4C, TT, Z4, F-Type, SLK, Boxster, Cayman – combined for fewer than 10,000 U.S. sales through the first six months of 2016. Porsche sold 5,026 911s. Dodge sold 298 Vipers.
[Images: GM, Ford]
Timothy Cain is the founder of GoodCarBadCar.net, which obsesses over the free and frequent publication of U.S. and Canadian auto sales figures. Follow on Twitter @goodcarbadcar and on Facebook.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Surferjoe Still have a 2013 RDX, naturally aspirated V6, just can't get behind a 4 banger turbo.Also gloriously absent, ESS, lane departure warnings, etc.
- ToolGuy Is it a genuine Top Hand? Oh, I forgot, I don't care. 🙂
- ToolGuy I did truck things with my truck this past week, twenty-odd miles from home (farther than usual). Recall that the interior bed space of my (modified) truck is 98" x 74". On the ride home yesterday the bed carried a 20 foot extension ladder (10 feet long, flagged 14 inches past the rear bumper), two other ladders, a smallish air compressor, a largish shop vac, three large bins, some materials, some scrap, and a slew of tool cases/bags. It was pretty full, is what I'm saying.The range of the Cybertruck would have been just fine. Nothing I carried had any substantial weight to it, in truck terms. The frunk would have been extremely useful (lock the tool cases there, out of the way of the Bed Stuff, away from prying eyes and grasping fingers -- you say I can charge my cordless tools there? bonus). Stainless steel plus no paint is a plus.Apparently the Cybertruck bed will be 78" long (but over 96" with the tailgate folded down) and 60-65" wide. And then Tesla promises "100 cubic feet of exterior, lockable storage — including the under-bed, frunk and sail pillars." Underbed storage requires the bed to be clear of other stuff, but bottom line everything would have fit, especially when we consider the second row of seats (tools and some materials out of the weather).Some days I was hauling mostly air on one leg of the trip. There were several store runs involved, some for 8-foot stock. One day I bummed a ride in a Roush Mustang. Three separate times other drivers tried to run into my truck (stainless steel panels, yes please). The fuel savings would be large enough for me to notice and to care.TL;DR: This truck would work for me, as a truck. Sample size = 1.
- Ed That has to be a joke.
- SCE to AUX One data point: my rental '23 Model 3 had good build quality, but still not as good as my Hyundais.Test mule aside, perhaps the build quality of the CT will be good in 2027.
Might I suggest one very possible reason (or at least a strongly contributing factor) in the 6th Gen Camaro's lackluster sales? One that is directly related to the 5th Gen's sales success? The 5th Gen Camaro met a pent-up market demand for Camaros following the six-year absence from the market place. Success! The 6th Gen met a saturated/satiated market, with many Camaro faithful upside down on their 60/72-month loans, and no really compelling need to trade-up for a car that looks similar and costs a lot more. Stumble.
The Alpha platform curse. CTS, ATS, and, Camaro. High acclaim from the journalists, critics, and, fist-bumping, hotshoes, but, a near zero to the actual car buying public. It generates great numbers and spirited driving feel, but, it doesn't work well for everyday human existence: passenger room, visibility, cargo space. Who is in charge of Camaro Marketing? Does Camaro marketing exist outside of enthusiast rags? Styling and design are wrong. Just wrong, as in 2013 Malibu wrong. Not ugly or bad, just wrong. Inside and out. Why is the Camaro's touch screen aimed at my navel? Was the gauge package a last minute design? Is it all new? The automotive enthusiast press notice, but, does the buying public? It's a new coupe in market gone crossover mad.