SPIED: Fiat 124 Spider Sports Long Hood for Small Motor
This is the first ever set of spy shots of the upcoming Mazda MX-5 Miata based Fiat 124 Spider with near-production body work.
Damn, honey, you’ve got a big nose.
While this addition to the Fiat lineup is quite covered in camo in these photos, it’s easy to see the roadster will rock a longer hood than the Mazda MX-5. However, it looks like other elements stay quite similar to the original on which it’s based, including the curved windshield surround and proportions of the rear deck.
If rumor is to be believed, the new Fiat 124 will be powered by the same 1.4L turbocharged four-cylinder found in other Fiat products. Power will be sent to the rear via a six-speed manual transmission and possibly a six-speed dual clutch or conventional automatic.
We will likely see the Fiat 124 in all its glory this November at the Los Angeles International Auto Show. Expect sales to start next year.
The new Fiat will be built alongside the MX-5 in Japan.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- StormEagle 400 miles range
- Inside Looking Out Enforcing laws? It is so yesterday! Welcome to California!
- Lou_BC You'd think cops would have an understanding of the laws they are supposed to enforce.
- Merlyn I’m on my second Spark and love it! I can pass any car I’ve never had a problem going up a hill it does just fine. As for cargo I can fit three suitcases, two book bags and still have the front seat for a passenger. Not sure what point this guy is trying to make. I have hand free phone service and Sirius radio plug in my phone and have navigation. I would buy another spark in a heartbeat.
- Buickman I won't own one and I'll be happy!
I've said before, I am a Miata lover since about 95. There is no way I'd buy the fiat... Except on 1 condition. That they put the Abarth motor in it. The sound alone could convince me to buy a fiat over the real deal.
Can't wait! Just hope they use the same exhaust as my Abarth. That will sound awesome.