Junkyard Find: 1970 Ford Econoline Van
Dodge stuck with the forward-control/mid-engine van design through the 1970 model year (at which point their Tradesman gained a hood), but Ford moved the Econoline’s engine forward starting with the 1968s. For 1968 through 1974, the Econoline had this extremely short snout, with the engine just barely in front of the driver. You don’t see many of this generation of Econoline these days, so I photographed this one when I spotted it in a California self-serve yard a couple of months ago.
It’s got plenty of California-style body rust, which attacks very slowly (unless the victim is an air-cooled Volkswagen) from the top down. At this rate of decay, rust-through would take place by about 2052.
Tiny four-wheel drum brakes on a half-ton passenger van in 1970? Sure, why not?
No idiot lights, but also no frills.
After 42 years, this van has been completely used up.
-Nate on Nov 08, 2012
I well remember these Club Wagons , they were fine at the time , I drove VW Typ II's instead . I hated working tune ups on these as they were designed for L6 engines and the spark lugs were a bear to change , cracked exhaust manifolds too . This one is hardly " used Up " ~ all it needs is a periodic overhaul to be road ready again . Yes , it has the 2-1/2" brakes . -Nate
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Randy in rocklin The Japanese can be so smart and yet so dumb. I'm America-Japanese and they really can be dumb sometimes like their masking paranoia.
- Bunkie The Flying Flea has a fascinating story and served, inadvertently, to broaden the understanding of aircraft design. The crash described in the article is only part of the tale.
- Master Baiter "I like the Earth."The idea that modern combustion engines are incompatible with the ongoing survival of the Earth, or of humanity, is breathtakingly stupid. Climate alarmism is akin to a religion--one to which I do not subscribe.
- Skippity Key takeaways.Toyota is run by competent businessmen.Art doesn’t like Toyota.
- MaintenanceCosts Audi has been a full player in the German luxury club for 20 years. It started to get there with the first A4, which was a 500-foot home run, and then achieved full recognition with the spectacular D3 A8.