TTAC Project Car: Thank YOU, Best and Brightest!
TTAC Commentator Diewaldo writes:
I didn’t know how to contact you otherwise, but I found your Sierra in Nürburg. It seems to be still in good shape. I have uploaded a photo, here is the link.
Greetings from the Eifel,
OMG, SON! You offered to do just that in our last installment, and you kept your promise. Has the Internet made the world that small? The fact that USAF Captain Mike found this car in a UK Classic Car advert online, while living in God-Knows-Where (don’t ask, he’ll have to kill you) and while chatting with me on Facebook during the working hour is your first clue that our world has completely changed thanks to technology.
And my fiduciary promise via Facebook sealed the deal. Mike, his bestest UK mates, and TWO of my dearest friends ( one from Somerset, another traveled all the way from Houston to see it, THEN rub it in my face) have fondled and violated that precious bond of brown paint, Ghia trimmings and honest RWD Ford engineering in some way/shape/form…while I’ve had no interaction with my Rio Brown Beauty. Zip.
Curse you, Capt Solo!
Here’s the fun part: I’ve heard of a couple of mystery decals attached to the Sierra’s chocolate laquer, and everyone kept their mouth shut. “You will know when you open the container” is the usual response to my demands. Thanks to the Best and Brightest, mystery solved!
Now I see the “GB” decal on the Sierra’s slender hatch, and a little reminder of this ride’s dunce-cap status among real car nuts. This ain’t a Cosworth, it’s a Ghia 5-door. It has plush velour seating, rear sunshades and is finished in Brown, for chrissakes! Obviously this will be the butt of all jokes, in a nice way. But who knew I’d get a proper Nürburgring decal showing how you must be a “Novice” if you roll a Sierra Ghia in Nürburg! Since he’s a good sport, Mike must be absolutely chuffed at the ribbing he gets from this car!
So yes, the Internet rocks. Because it brings TTAC’s Best and Brightest together. Thank you all for reading, and have a laugh or two at the remedial decal on the glass, the high resolution photo is only a click away.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Dukeisduke Six figures for what's basically a four-wheeled Slingshot? I don't they'll get a lot of takers, at least for on-road use.Does it have ABS or traction control? I imagine it's a snap to break the wheels loose.
- Master Baiter I'm no expert, but I don't see how cameras can perform adequately under conditions of dark/rain/fog and/or poor visibility in general. Other car makers seem to think they need radar, so what magic has Tesla invented here?
- Master Baiter I'm not going to throw in with the haters. I admit that at $25K, the Model 3 is a pretty good deal, especially in CA--land of confiscatory gasoline prices.
- Jeff S Always liked this generation and thank you again Corey for an excellent and thorough series.
- Lou_BC What ever happened to Reid Bigland and his law suite against Ram?
@Sanjeev and @Diewaldo: i had the honor of doing 6 laps w/Captain Solo as my co-pilot back in april of this year. on top of that, i helped him come up w/the name for his horrific gold seat sedan: princess vespa! Captain Solo is a great guy and i'm glad the deal is working out as well as it seems. @Diewaldo: it's shane, from california. the tall guy from california. we met the day of the motorcycle rally. :) https://picasaweb.google.com/100952810079774036778/NurburgringApril2011#5598892826936120866
One big happy family here at TTAC...