By on September 13, 2011

Volkswagen may show the car for lonesome commuter – Audi won’t have that. They have a concept for a single that has a girlfriend. They call it the “1+1-seat, ultra-light car for congested urban spaces.” I don’t know how a car that barely seats two will alleviate urban congestion, but I’m sure Audi will have an answer. For now, “the Audi urban concept combines elements of a racing car, a fun car and an urban car into one radical new concept.” There are two: A Sportback model, and a Spyder.

On board there is room for two people, their position slightly staggered and at a sporty, low level. What about controls? “All controls and materials are subject to the dictates of ultra-lightweight construction in order to ensure that the sensory experience they convey is unique and compelling.” I see. “The driver can adjust the steering wheel and pedals to his own body measurements.” A-mazing!

“The cockpit consists of carbon fiber-reinforced polymer,” (a better word for plastic). Now that seat is interesting. Shall we let it all hang out?

It comes with two e-tron electric motors . “A lithium-ion battery supplies the energy – ideal for extended city tours.” How far? No idea.

Get the latest TTAC e-Newsletter!

8 Comments on “Another Audi That Will Never See Production...”


  • avatar
    carve

    That looks like a lot of fun. It reminds me of open-wheeled roadsters of the ’20s, all the way to the vertical, square grille. The passenger might not get much hip or shoulder room, but gets TONS of legroom!

    It’d be really cool if the drivers seat and steering wheel was central until a passenger showed up, at which time is slid over to reveal the passenger seat. That would provide more crumple-room if you get T-boned.

    I’d love to see a RWD gas version of this for a really affordable price…say under $14k with a motorcycle-ish screamer of a motor….maybe $20k for electric. Put a bike-rack on it and it would handle 75% of my needs, and then I could get a gas-guzzling SUV for the other 25%.

  • avatar
    cackalacka

    “1+1-seat, ultra-light car for congested urban spaces.” I don’t know how a car that barely seats two will alleviate urban congestion, but I’m sure Audi will have an answer.”

    Not having access to the publication, but a quibble: from that statement it doesn’t appear that Audi is offering a panacea to congestion, but rather, a vehicle more suitable to handle it.

    Would you rather park one of these babies or an F-truck in midtown?

  • avatar
    Robert.Walter

    Somebody please look under the skin to see if there are Plymouth Prowler components to match the nearly copy-paste design!!

    “Would you rather park one of these babies or an F-truck in midtown?” For the kind of person that might buy a car like this, it is probably not an either-or proposition. And besides, isn’t this what insurance is for?

  • avatar
    Da Coyote

    Wow, an Audi Prowler!

  • avatar
    Davekaybsc

    The Prowler was just a ’32 Ford clone. There was nothing original about it at all, and this really doesn’t look like it, especially from the rear. I actually see a bit of Auto Union D-type in it, which is the car Audi’s always been proudest of, even more than the Ur-Quattro.

  • avatar
    wallstreet

    Bertel,

    Will you mind providing some photos & coverage on Frankfurt IAA? A few photos of booth babes will be great. Thanks in advance.

  • avatar
    Bunter1

    I thought Auto-Union c/d-type right from the start.

    Interesting from a personal standpoint-I’ve been playing with a staggered seat 1+1 motorcycle engined design for years.

    Gotta get back to that.

Read all comments

Back to TopLeave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Comments

  • Superdessucke: Opposite direction of what needs to be done. Bring back the d’Elegance and Biarritz. This...
  • Superdessucke: Well, that’s eventually going to happen. China not taking dollars. But what does going to war...
  • dal20402: Obviously better for that but it didn’t come as a 335is :)
  • dal20402: If you ask the Taiwanese if they want to join the PRC, they will give you the loudest “NO”...
  • Lou_BC: LOL

New Car Research

Get a Free Dealer Quote

Who We Are

  • Adam Tonge
  • Bozi Tatarevic
  • Corey Lewis
  • Jo Borras
  • Mark Baruth
  • Ronnie Schreiber