Shanghai Autoshow: The Vanishing Ripoff
April 19th, 2011 12:57 PM Share
Remember the Brilliance A3 SUV that the German press called “a brazen BMW X1 rip-off, with inspirations from Audi?” After BMW spokesman Frank Strebe said that the matter would be taken up with their joint venture partner Brilliance, Strebe had said: “Maybe the vehicle won’t be at the show.”
Lo and behold, BMW showed its X1 in Shanghai. At the Brilliance booth however was no A3 to be seen. Instead, there was a gaping hole in the array of Brilliance cars. Asked about the matter, Strebe said his prediction was caused by “intuition.”
Published April 19th, 2011 12:56 PM
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Pianoboy57 Green is my favorite color but I never owned an actual green car. Then I got a Subaru Outback in Wilderness green.
- SCE to AUX Will Toyota be building a Superfiller network to support its vast fleet of FCVs?Didn't think so.
- MaintenanceCosts I have an irrational weakness for Biarritz and d'Elegance packages of this era and the button tufted seats that came with them. We're sort of getting back there with the current quilted leather fad, but only sort of.
- Ajla Do journalists ever ask the automakers that like building hydrogen cars to acknowledge that there is no place to fill them? And where they expect future filling stations to come from?
- FreedMike I'm never one to turn down a good performance car, but I think Acura would be better served sales-wise by making the 2.0T standard in the Integra and holding the line on price versus a hi-po version. Besides, the Civic Type R this is based on isn't embarrassingly overstyled anymore.
I'm not shocked that Brilliance would simply Xerox an existing design. I'm also not shocked that they decided to leave the A3 out of the show, so as not to upset their partner BMW. What does surprise me is that they copied that awful s*** brown color of the X1! Maybe the auto show lighting is throwing it off, but it looks horrendous in the photo. Word to BMW: if you're going to make a hideous car, at least paint it a pretty color!
Bertel, Will you happen to have any interior shots of new M5?