Kia Cadenza: Entry-Entry-Luxury?
October 19th, 2009 2:33 PM Share
Global Times has an official image of the production Hyundai Azera-based Kia Cadenza, the replacement for the aged and unlovable Amanti. Not long ago, TTAC’s sharp-eyed readers had a surprisingly hard time identifying this car’s interior as a Kia at all. And with a new Schreyer-styled look that’s light years beyond the Amanti’s crude E-class cribbing, the Cadenza’s exterior could fool a few observers as well. With GM positioning Buick as “luxury without paying for status,” a Kia like this seems to be that brand’s chief competition. Who saw that coming?
Published October 19th, 2009 1:16 PM
Join the conversation
2 of 27 comments
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Wolfwagen I would rather have an annual inspection that may catch something early or at least the driver can be informed of an impending issue. Government vs private is another issue and unscrupulous mechanics is another.On a slightly different topic is the inspection of salvage or rebuilt cars. In NYS it is strictly to ensure that stolen parts were not used to rebuild the vehicle. I would rather see an inspection to ensure that the vehicle has been properly put back together.
- PeterPuck For years, Ford has simply reworked existing designs originating from Europe and Japanese manufacturers, not being capable of designing a decent car in the USA.What’s the last clean sheet design from the USA? The 1986 Taurus?And they still can’t manage to get things right.why is this? Are they putting all of the competent engineers and designers on the F150? Is woke diversification affecting them, as some rumours suggest? Are they rewarding incompetence?
- Brandon What is a "city crossover"?
- Tassos What was the last time we had any good news from Ford? (or GM for that matter?)The last one was probably when Alan Mulally was CEO. Were you even born back then?Fields was a total disaster, then they go hire this clown from Toyota's PR department, the current Ford CEO, Fart-ley or something.He claims to be an auto enthusiast too (unlike Mary Barra who is even worse, but of course always forgiven, as she is the proud owner of a set of female genitals.
- Tassos I know some would want to own a collectible Mustang. (sure as hell not me. This crappy 'secretary's car' (that was exactly its intended buying demo) was as sophisticated (transl. : CRUDE) as the FLintstone's mobile. Solid Real Axle? Are you effing kidding me?There is a huge number of these around, so they are neither expensive nor valuable.WHen it came out, it was $2,000 or so new. A colleague bought a recent one with the stupid Ecoboost which also promised good fuel economy. He drives a hard bargain and spends time shopping and I remember he paid $37k ( the fool only bought domestic crap, but luckily he is good with his hands and can fix lots of stuff on them).He told me that the alleged fuel economy is obtained only if you drive it like a VERY old lady. WHich defeats the purpose, of course, you might as well buy a used Toyota Yaris (not even a Corolla).
BD: Upscale sporty? In case ya havent noticed.. Maxima is doing a shitty job.. cause its got Altima at its heels and its no longer the svelte tossable car.. Now its an obese fat-ass that couldn't take a good turn on a soaking wet road. I think.. It might be affordable luxury. But that's a REALM that EVERYONE is going to.. and its getting miserable. Once lux gets affordable, then its pointless. And you CANT tell me with a straight face, that the Genesis is "real" LUXURY. Only reason the company exists is to try and tell you stop paying so much for a car from BMW / MB / Audi. Then again... they dont want ya paying too much for a decent sedan from T or H. I think this.. CREDENZA HEHE is a decent look.. more cohesive than the shit they made 2yrs ago, but I dont see anything thats unique or interesting. They even pull the character line.. OUT OF THIN AIR. And for a SECOND I think the vehicle is attractive, with its simple lines.. clean front clip and Audi-esque lights. Then I smack myself on the head with a 20lb IRON SKILLET and remember that Id have to lose my mind and brain cells to buy from a company that prides themselves as the cheapest car ya can get, ntm is just starting their product renaissance. And while (its) design has its critiques.. its largely ignored while the price point is SHOUTED from the mountain tops. NTM.. I agree with others.. I'm seeing both companies going after the same customers (everybody else's), with nothing that stands out, besides their b.s warranty and option packages that are the cheapest by far and made in KOREA assembly lines.
@Accords "And you CANT tell me with a straight face, that the Genesis is “real” LUXURY." ----------------- What is the real luxury or not? Genesis offers EVERYTHING OF LUXURY. Only without luxury badge. And this Kia Cadenza is a same grade with Nissan Maxima/Toyota Avalon/Ford Taurus/Pontiac G8/Any other upscale sedans. Even Lexus ES falling in this category. Seriously, Lexus ES is a just glorified FWD Camry sedan. ES is essentially same vehicle with Camry. Lexus ES was originally sold as "Camry Prominent" in Japan.