Subaru Viziv Adrenaline Concept Lurks in Darkness Before Geneva Debut
Automakers across the globe are readying teaser images for models they intend to debut at the 89th Geneva International Motor Show next month. For Subaru, that means the latest addition to its Viziv line of concept vehicles.
While initial Viziv concepts were highly conceptual designs, the line has gradually evolved to deliver models more in line with Subaru’s production vehicles. The 2016 Viziv-7 ultimately led to the creation of the Ascent and both the 2017 Viziv Performance Concept and 2018 Tourer Concept appear to directly foreshadow future incarnations of the WRX. But the new concept is an unknown quantity.
Bathed in the darkest of blue filters until its official debut on March 5th, the Viziv Adrenaline appears to be a crossover with no obvious production counterpart. While the general shape is slightly reminiscent of the Crosstrek, the Adrenaline appears significantly shorter in overall length. In fact, the uninterrupted side windows seem to indicate that this is a two-door vehicle. This is a colossal stretch, aided by some wishful thinking, but perhaps Subaru is thinking of reviving the Impreza 22B STI.
Alright, we know the odds of that happening are on par with Subaru bringing back the 360 and not making their next production vehicle all-wheel drive. It’s much more likely that the Viziv Adrenaline will be a sound place for the automaker to showcase its new e-Boxer powertrain and serve as a forbearer for a currently unannounced crossover.
The e-Boxer setup has already appeared in the Crosstrek XV and constitutes the automaker’s 2.0-liter horizontally-opposed engine working alongside the same hybrid tech found in the Prius Prime. However, there’s nothing about it that would alter one’s body chemistry enough to warrant it being dropped within the bowels of a model called “the Adrenaline.” We imagine the next Viziv has a few extra tricks up its sleeve to help ratify its rather bold name.
While Subaru hasn’t explicitly said the model will use an e-Boxer powertrain, at least two vehicles bound for Geneva will. Fortunately, we only have to wait a few more weeks to find out more.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Randy in rocklin The Japanese can be so smart and yet so dumb. I'm America-Japanese and they really can be dumb sometimes like their masking paranoia.
- Bunkie The Flying Flea has a fascinating story and served, inadvertently, to broaden the understanding of aircraft design. The crash described in the article is only part of the tale.
- Master Baiter "I like the Earth."The idea that modern combustion engines are incompatible with the ongoing survival of the Earth, or of humanity, is breathtakingly stupid. Climate alarmism is akin to a religion--one to which I do not subscribe.
- Skippity Key takeaways.Toyota is run by competent businessmen.Art doesn’t like Toyota.
- MaintenanceCosts Audi has been a full player in the German luxury club for 20 years. It started to get there with the first A4, which was a 500-foot home run, and then achieved full recognition with the spectacular D3 A8.