Spied: Refreshed 2018 Cadillac XTS, Showing Plenty of Sameness
Thanks to loyal reader Frylock350, we’ve received a glimpse of what can only be Cadillac’s upcoming 2018 XTS — a long-in-the-tooth model given a stay of execution (and a styling refresh) by its struggling parent.
The XTS was supposed to die after the appearance of Cadillac’s CT6 flagship, but continued healthy sales of the front-wheel-drive full-sizer prompted a change of heart. Why axe a steady performer, especially when your smaller sedans have the sales buoyancy of the Lusitania?
While announcing a years-long new product blitz earlier this year, Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen revealed that a refreshed XTS would come first. Expected to bow later this year, the 2018 model should see changes to its front fascia and rear end, nudging its styling closer to that of its siblings. Certainly, there’s nothing new amidships, going by these photos shot in Chicago.
Underneath those bulky bras, there’s clearly change afoot. While the taillights remain hidden, the trunklid seems to extend further aft. Up front, the grille appears more upright and surrounding fascia more angular, not unlike the sharply chiseled faces of its stablemates. There’s new jewelry, too. It looks like the XTS’ front fenders will carry the same monochrome Cadillac crest seen on the CT6.
While it isn’t known how long the XTS will live, sales through 2019 seems like a solid bet. Of course, Cadillac’s main focus remains elsewhere.
Crossovers and SUVs are kings, and Cadillac’s long-term profitability plan will see several utility vehicles added to the lineup before the end of the decade. The first all-new model will be the XT4 small crossover, with a larger crossover expected to fill the gap between the popular XT5 and range-topping Escalade. An even smaller crossover could appear after that.
Akear on Apr 04, 2017
Buick death watch. Cadillac is still outselling Buick this year in the states. I will look up the sales statistics later this week. Cadillac was leading by a couple thousand units last month. The new XT5 is now Cadillac's best selling vehicle, and is playing a big role in the divisions comeback.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- SCE to AUX "Range-topping" in 2027? I'll believe that in 2027.
- Fred You think it's cold here, go to You Tube and check out the video for "How We Drive a Car at -50°C (-58°F) | Yakutia, Siberia"
- Fred I haven't paid attention, but my local dealer is no longer Buick or Cadillac. Just Chevy and GMC. Probably where the money is in a small town rural area. Tough to compete with the prices in Modesto or beyond.
- FreedMike It'll do 24 seconds to 60 for all eternity.
- SCE to AUX That's pretty sweet, and seemingly in decent condition. I have a lot of respect for cockroach cars, although I never liked following one of these old diesels.