NYIAS 2017: 2018 Lexus LS 500 F Sport Adds 'Driving Emotion' (But No Extra Power) To Buttoned-Down Big Sedan
Back in the day, a properly large luxury sedan was just that — large and luxurious. No sporting pretensions were found, as any special package simply piled on the brougham.
However, Lexus has said no to a padded roof or opera lights for its newest full-size package, as it’s given the F Sport treatment to the new LS 500. Available for the twin-turbo V6 and V6 hybrid powertrains, the F Sport package adds a dash of sporting pretense to an otherwise posh sedan.
As Lexus hinted last week, the 2018 Lexus LS F Sport adds unique styling cues and improved handling over the standard LS sedan, with a unique grille being the most noticeable outward change.
Newly sculpted rocker panels and trunk moldings highlight the dynamic styling, as do the unique 20-inch alloy wheels with staggered widths. Lexus further adds an F Sport-exclusive “Ultra White” paint hue if so desired.
The interior follows with sporty accents throughout. The front seats have more supportive bolstering for negotiating the parking lot at the tennis club at speed, and are trimmed in Ultrasuede for a soft touch — as is the headliner.
The throttle, brake and dead pedals are aluminum — because racecar — and the steering wheel is of a racier design than the standard model. Lexus also offers an optional Circuit Red interior on these F Sport models.
Drivers who opt for a rear-wheel drive LS F Sport rather than the optional all-wheel drive will see fair-weather benefits from high-performance summer tires fitted to the 20-inch wheels, and buyer’s can choose the optional F Sport Handling package that adds a sport-tuned air suspension, an active stabilizer, variable steering ratios, and active rear steering.
Both the 415 horsepower, twin-turbo V6 engine and the 354 hp, hybrid V6 engines carry over unchanged from the standard LS 500, as do the options of rear- or all-wheel drive. Lexus has not yet released pricing details.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Scott Mopar4wdthanks for those stats. But if 40% of suv buyers are 65+ that is not a long term strategyat 70 I’m perhaps not germane as I have only 2 cars now and replace only when they’re stolen
- Mopar4wd I think the real question is when every EV can be optioned to be startlingly fast, you need something else to differentiate. Handling features etc, outright acceleration may not be as much a measure as it once was. That's the real problem I see for Dodge, their best bet would seem to be making them look way better than the competition.
- Dukeisduke The wheelcovers with all the little round holes are from Pontiac, like the Catalina.
- DungBeetle62 "Mark III would make its branding as exclusive as possible... " Meanwhile, 40 years on down the road every single Lincoln product was "MK _____"
- FreedMike It is kind of refreshing to see an off-roader that is focused on the basics of off-roading, versus convincing its’ owner that he’s the real-life incarnation of the Punisher, and the owner of the largest penis in human history.