The Honda Civic Si's Leaked Torque Rating Beats the Base Accord, at Least
Honda isn’t one to dish details on a new product miles ahead of a debut, but information has a way of springing leaks.
An email sent to Honda aficionados from the automaker has ended up on the CivicX forum, and its description of the Road & Track. Someone at Honda slipped up and offered up the info well before its release date.
Terrific, but what about horsepower? Sorry, you’ll have to wait for another leak to learn that information, unless the automaker succeeds in keeping its mouth shut. Past speculation stated that the model’s horsepower could reach 220, but that now seems too high a ceiling.
With half of the output picture revealed, the Civic Si is clearly shaping up to be a modestly hotter version of the Civic Sport, not a pavement-scorching rocket. That responsibility falls to the upcoming Type R, which boasts 306 hp and 295 lb-ft. In comparison, the Civic Sport’s 1.5-liter turbo puts out 180 hp and 177 lb-ft, while the base model makes do with 174 hp and 162 lb-ft.
While some may bemoan the Si’s somewhat low torque rating (it trails the subcompact Ford Fiesta ST by 10 lb-ft), it’s still a not-insignificant upgrade from the Civic Sport. It also tops the previous-generation Si’s torque by 18 lb-ft. Not only that, but owners can expect to leave four-cylinder Accords in their dust, if that thought provides any comfort at all. The Sport version of Honda’s ever-popular midsize makes 182 lb-ft from its 2.4-liter engine.
There’s still some bragging rights to be found in the number if you’re broad-minded. Honda hasn’t yet released a launch date for the Si, though we’ll see it in the flesh at next month’s New York Auto Show.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Theflyersfan They might not be convertible friendly, but if they work on getting the last of the winter crud off of the car during the first spring wash, it's worth its weight in gold. So many of the self-serve car washes seem to have some kind of mechanical problem with one of the nozzles, or out of some chemicals - want to do that at home.
- Bill Wade It's worked perfectly for me. Google maps is quite good and music streaming is flawless.
- TheEndlessEnigma How much is TTAC getting from the Amazon referral links? Once again, nice ads camouflaged as an article.
- Prabirmehta Great review! Brought back memories of my 2005 Z4 - loved it! I recently drove the 2023 Z4 and it felt similar in many ways to my 2005 (despite the much nicer and updated interior). Now your review has me rethinking whether to buy another one? :)
- Haruhi Where’s this exact location
It seems like they probably should've put a lower tune version of the 2.0T from the Type R in this car rather than a tuned up version of the 1.5T from the EX-T, no?
when honda get dumb? young d1ck not want liddle ricer no more - want truck make ridgeline type r