NYIAS: Sir Mixalot Called and He Likes Your New Mitsubishi Mirage G4
Mitsubishi today pulled the cover off its new Mirage G4 sedan, which adds a longer wheelbase and a trunk to the occasionally-maligned subcompact, the 2016 New York International Auto Show. As we noted with the restyled hatchback, 4 more horsepower — for a total of 78 — will hum from the Mirage G4’s 1.2-liter three-cylinder engine, and Mitsubishi will make available Android Auto and Apple CarPlay as an option.
The new trunk makes the ovoid Mirage look a bit more car-like. It may also make the Mirage a little more slippery through the air, but fuel economy ratings have yet to be announced.
The Mirage G4 will go on sale at used car dealerships with Mitsubishi signage this spring.
In addition to the trunked Mirage, the Outlander PHEV finally arrives on U.S. soil after a couple years of sales overseas. The plug-in hybrid pairs a 2.0-liter gasoline engine with twin electric motors and a 12-kWh lithium-ion battery to supply power to all four wheels.
Those electric motors can drive the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV in full-electric mode, so the bunnies in the countryside can breath a sigh of relief before being trampled. The electrified utility vehicle can also operate in series and parallel hybrid modes when more power is demanded. Regenerative braking will attempt to keep the battery pack juiced in stop-and-go traffic.
The Outlander PHEV is scheduled to go on sale this fall.
No pricing has been announced for either vehicle.
Some enthusiasts say they were born with gasoline in their veins. Chris Tonn, on the other hand, had rust flakes in his eyes nearly since birth. Living in salty Ohio and being hopelessly addicted to vintage British and Japanese steel will do that to you. His work has appeared in eBay Motors, Hagerty, The Truth About Cars, Reader's Digest, AutoGuide, Family Handyman, and Jalopnik. He is a member of the Midwest Automotive Media Association, and he's currently looking for the safety glasses he just set down somewhere.
More by Chris Tonn
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- The Oracle The early sounds of the death knell for CCP EVs.
- FreedMike "This week, Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO) "Oh, THAT clown. The Undistinguished Gentleman and Brave Christian Culture Warrior from North Arkansas - I mean, Missouri - who was caught pulling a Brave Sir Robin act on January 6th, after he egged on the rioters? This guy shouldn't be running for dog catcher, must less consuming oxygen in the Senate chamber. Assess his proposals accordingly.
- EBFlex Yawn. It’s still a white refrigerator. A Camry has more soul and passion than this.
- Jkross22 For as nice as these were at the time, I always preferred the 850, even with wrong wheel drive. Especially the early 90s. In sedan form. The 850R. Mmmmm.
- FreedMike Well, if you want a Swedish cockroach that's easy to work on, here's your ticket. Tad overpriced but it's an asking price, after all. And those old Volvo seats are divine. It'd be worth a look.