Android Auto Latest With Difficulty Over Saying Hyundai's Name
How does one pronounce Hyundai’s name? Does it rhyme with “Sunday,” or with “fungi”? Google’s Android Auto on the 2015 Sonata isn’t so sure, either.
Though the automaker has tried to have North American consumers rhyme its name with “Sunday” ever since it arrived aboard an Excel decades ago, Automotive News reports the voice used with Android Auto doesn’t quite nail it with its pronunciation: “HEE’-yuhn-day.” The mispronunciation was found to occur when a driver asked for directions to the nearest Hyundai dealership.
Of course, this isn’t the first time the issue has come up: the automaker’s 11-year-sponsorship of the Turbine Hall of the Tate Modern in London beginning this year prompted the BBC to ponder the question.
Meanwhile, the automaker poked fun at itself over its name with a Super Bowl advert from 2009, where its luxury competitors raged against Hyundai’s latest machine, the Genesis Sedan:
Seattle-based writer, blogger, and photographer for many a publication. Born in Louisville. Raised in Kansas. Where I lay my head is home.
More by Cameron Aubernon
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- SCE to AUX "But we can all go pound sand in North America, unfortunately"In reality, that would be about 1000 people who can go pound sand, which is why this isn't coming to North America.
- MaintenanceCosts You could probably make this thing satisfy US emissions standards, although it wouldn't right now, but there is no way on God's green earth you could make it satisfy US safety standards.
- MrIcky Haven't these been out for a while? Is the news just that Japan gets them now too?
- JTiberius1701 Jaguar Contour....
- Analoggrotto How pathetic, as Telluride ATPs continue to soar with a model released in 2018, Toyota is living in the past, bringing back old heavy truck frame junk like this to sell a few hundred copies. They can't even remotely compete on reddit for the toast of society who enjoys the finest AVMs and ATPs by signing up for the finest SUV for under $100k and only #2 to the Purosangue beyond that. This is like the Miata of 3 Row SUVs, you can pay more but not get anything better.