New Trends In Chinese Commercial Vehicles: Ragged Top Heavy Trucks
Tycho of Beijing’s Carnewschina is onto a rapidly trending phenomenon among the big boys of China: Heavy trucks with convertible tops. It appears to be an aftermarket mod that is not always strictly voluntary: Trucks sometimes roll. Due to the amazing build quality of Chinese trucks and the help of a few hundred migrant workers, a rolled truck quickly is back on its many wheels. With parts essential for a repair safely secured, the chop-top truck is back on its merry way.
China has an “insatiable appetite for heavy-duty trucks,” as Forbes’ China-tracking Jack Perkowski wrote. China is the world’s largest market for heavy trucks, with nearly 1 million units of the big (and usually blue) units sold last year.
This brilliant blue FAW (with matching shirt) truck was seen in Xuzhou in Jiangsu Province. The topless trucks usually go unmolested by Chinese law enforcement, Carnewschina says: “Police, if on the road, which is extremely rare, will likely do with just a fine and let it all go, confiscating would be far too much paperwork!”
I you are into trucks that dropped their tops, head on over to Carnewschina, a virtual Topless Central when it comes to trucks.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Gemcitytm Why does it seem every EV seems to have ridiculous amounts of power? Yes, I know they're heavier than ICE models but who on earth needs 708 HP? How about a nice, compact EV with, say, 250 HP and 350-400 mile range? Is that impossible with today's tech? (I currently drive a 148 HP Mazda 3 ICE and it has all the get-up-and-go I need.)
- CEastwood I could have bought one of these if I had the cash in 76 for $1000 white , red interior , 3 speed stick with whitewalls/ wire hubcaps - it was mint and gone a day after I saw it . But the real catch that got away was an all original 69 green Camaro RS convertible 327 4 speed with 46K on the clock for 1800 that I saw a few months earlier . Young and poor was not a fun place to be !
- KOKing I'm in an emissions check only state, and I'd trade that away for a safety check all day.
- Bd2 The hybrid powertrain in the Sportage and Tucson are the ones to get.H/K should discontinue the base NA 2.5L powertrain and just build more of the hybrid.In the future, maybe offer a 2nd, more powerful hybrid (the hybrid 2.5) which will first arrive with the next Telluride/Palisade.Kia also needs to redo the front fascia for the Sportage's refresh.
- The Oracle I say let the clunkers stay on the roads.
Odlly enought, the radio works perfectly. (HT Planes trains and automobiles)
Hope the driver wasn't the same one who rolled the truck...