Did GM Completly F*** Up The Launch Of The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco?
Forget the cascade of poor reviews that have apparently hampered the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco; the biggest detriment to the new car’s success might be the outgoing model, and the steep discounts being offered on the 2012 ‘Bu.
Automotive News reports that sales figures for the 2013 Malibu Eco have been dismal compared to the 2012 model.
The discounts on the 2012 model, according to AN can be as high as $6,000. The rest of the 2013 model lineup, including the base 2.5L car and the much-touted 2.oT will roll out starting in August, with high end versions launching in the fall. AN reports that GM CEO Dan Akerson ordered the Malibu Eco to roll out in March, as a means of beating the revised Nissan Altima and Honda Accord to the punch.
Akerson also assumed that strong promotion during the NCAA Basketball finals would help Malibu sales. But how attractive is the idea of a Malibu Eco, at $26,085, when the outgoing model (which doesn’t have the Eco’s compromised trunk, with its “hybrid” components) and $6,000 less, is right next to it in the showroom? A Toyota Camry Hybrid gets much better fuel economy and is $655 more, while a new Nissan Altima, which gets nearly identical fuel economy, is roughly $4,000 less.
The Malibu Eco has become a victim of GM’s own strategy of throwing cash on the hood of vehicles, privileging volume and market share above all else. Whatever the faults of the 2013 car may be, the launch appears to have been successfully torpedoed from within – GM’s competitors didn’t even have to lift a finger.
Chicagoland on Jul 31, 2012
Wow, when I read this, I worrry for 'New GM' "I would bet that 75% of the Malibu’s are going into rental fleets..." "As soon as the old car stops production, 100% of that old model volume will transfer to the new model..." Great way to to ruin the Malibu's brand image, dumping into fleets and huge discounts to unload them. Adding $6K rebates turns them into tacky 'Blue Light Specials' and true retail customers will buy the higher resale products, instead. The "as soon as..." attitude at GM is still going on. "Just wait for the new models" "Just wait for the new pickup!" "New engines are coming!"
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- DenverMike Column shifter in all trims? Thank god someone is listening. The console shifter is just the stupidest thing ever. Frick just make the whole area useful utility. Luxury means something different in trucks. Definitely removable and I’ll make my own work station.
- Joh65689020 1. Drape/ Masking-tape paint.2. Blue Coral (or any brand) chrome polish on PowerBall with cordless drill-driver.3. Buff lightly with microfiber towel to crystal clear finish.
- Bullnuke "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!" - Gold Hat
- DenverMike They seriously want to kill the auto industry.
- Inside Looking Out I have a feeling that retracting headlights were designed by VW.