Best Selling Cars Around The Globe: Chile Loves Japanese And American Cars. I Mean Chinese And Korean Cars.
In the last couple of weeks I have taken you to Oman, Israel, Belarus and Eritrea. Those of you that religiously read my column every week (endless thanks to you!) will remember that last week I also asked you which country you would want to travel to next. Well I have decided to grant not one, but ALL your wishes and the next few weeks will be dedicated to the countries you have requested.
Yes. I’m nice like that.
So this week we’re going to Chile, as per marjanmm’s wish. Why did I choose Chile? Because marjanmm was first to ask!
Now if you have ordered another country and couldn’t care less about Chile, I won’t get offended because I have prepared 159 additional countries for you to visit in my blog, so don’t sulk and click away!
In Chile, ‘Chevrolet’ and Nissan fight a very tight battle…
The latest models data I have for Chile dates back to July 2011. No that recent but that’s all I have for you I’m afraid. You’ll get over it I’m sure…
Over the first 7 months of 2011, the Chilean market was up a massive 32 percent year-on-year to 187,736 units. Three models sit within 0.1 percentage point market share of each other on the podium… (hence the ‘tight battle’ tip above.)
The Nissan Tiida is the best-selling model in the country over the period with 7,739 sales and a 4.1 percent share…
…but it is closely followed by the Chevrolet Sail (yes, the one that’s imported from China) at 7,674 units. The Sail was even #1 over the first half of the year! Chile is therefore the Sail’s second-most important export country, together with Algeria where the Sail is delivering outstanding numbers, making the Sail the first true successful Chinese export…ever.
A second Nissan, the Terrano (aka Frontier, the previous generation Navara… wow, 3 names for one car. Bit much) rounds up the podium and leads the commercial vehicles ranking with 7,549 sales and 4 percent share. The Terrano has been the best-selling pick-up in Chile for the last 6 years.
A second ‘Chevrolet’ (mmm I can hear our friends at General Motors are getting a little bit annoyed), the Spark freshly imported from Korea I believe, is #4 at 6,979 units and 3.7 percent, ahead of the 2010 market leader, the Hyundai Accent down to #5 with 5,309 sales and a 2.8 percent share.
Notice also the Samsung SM3, unashamedly Korean, holding itself very well in 7th place at 2.5 percent share and the Suzuki Alto breaking into the overall Top 10 at 1.9 percent. In the SUV ranking, the Hyundai New Tucson (2,326 sales) and Santa Fe (2,226) dominate, while the Great Wall Hover ranks #10 at 975 units.
Chile All Models – 7 Months 2011PosModel7m 2011%1Nissan Tiida7,7394.1%2Chevrolet Sail7,6744.1%3Nissan Terrano7,5494.0%4Chevrolet Spark6,9793.7%5Hyundai Accent5,3092.8%6Kia Rio4,7482.5%7Samsung SM34,6232.5%8Chevrolet Spark GT4,1862.2%9Kia Morning3,9262.1%10Suzuki Alto3,5081.9%11Chevrolet Aveo3,3101.8%12Mitsubishi L2003,1931.7%
Chile Commercial Vehicles – 7 months 2011PosCommercial vehicles7m 2011%1Nissan Terrano7,5494.0%2Mitsubishi L2003,1931.7%3SsangYong Actyon2,6621.4%4Toyota Hilux2,5071.3%5Chevrolet D-Max2,1091.1%6Nissan Navara1,7590.9%7Ford Ranger1,5440.8%8Mahindra Pik Up1,3400.7%9VW Amarok1,2530.7%10Mazda BT-508770.5%
Chile SUVs – 7 Months 2011PosSUVs7m 2011%1Hyundai New Tucson2,3261.2%2Hyundai Santa Fe2,2261.2%3Nissan Qashqai2,0071.1%4Toyota RAV41,9131.0%5Nissan X-Trail1,8701.0%6Kia Sportage1,6390.9%7Suzuki Grand Nomade1,4800.8%8Jeep Compass1,4050.7%9Chevrolet Captiva1,3650.7%10Great Wall Hover 39750.5%
All data was sourced on www.anac.cl
Matt Gasnier, based in Sydney, Australia, runs a blog named Best Selling Cars, dedicated to counting cars all over the world.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Bullnuke It may be awhile before these show up on US shores. The MV Fremantle Highway has just started demo/reconstruction in Rotterdam after the large fire when transporting its last shipment of electric Porsche products.
- Fie on Fiasler Big, fast and thirsty does not equal good. True luxury is not cobbled together by the UAW.
- Inside Looking Out I see it as gladiator races - only one survives in virtual world.
- Crown They need to put the EcoDiesel back in the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2018 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 69,000 miles and only needed tires, and regular oil and fuel filter changes.
- El scotto Y'all are overthinking this. Find some young hard-charging DA seeking the TV limelight to lock this kid up. Heck, have John Boehner come up from Cincy to help the young DA get his political career going. Better yet, have the young DA spin this as hard as he or she can; I'm the candidate for Law and Order, I defied our go-easy office and leadership to get this identified criminal locked up. Oh this could be spun more than a hyper active kid's top.Now I'd do some consulting work for Little Kings Original Cream Ale and Skyline Chili.