Best Selling Cars Around The Globe: Israel, Mazda's Favorite Country
If you live there, have been there or simply are not in the mood today, I have your back: there are 155 additional countries to be explored in my blog so click away!
Now those of you who have been following these weekly posts for a while are already familiar with the car landscape of neighboring countries like Egypt and Syria. Well, Israel is another beast altogether, with a set of popular brands unique in the world…
The Mazda3 is the most popular car in Israel, and as far as my figures go back (2005) it has been so a very strong domination indeed. Some years it has even held up to 12% of the Israeli market…by far its strongest share anywhere in the world.
Israeli consumers are quite similar to Spanish ones insofar as their preference for compact cars: the #2 spot in 2010 was held by the Toyota Corolla…
…and the Chevrolet Cruze comes in 3rd place.
Models ranking info outside the podium is vague but what I can offer you is rankings by segment.
At that game, Mazda wins 3 out of 4 times. The Mazda2 leads the mini segment…PosMini1Mazda22Hyundai i203Suzuki Swift4Seat Ibiza5Skoda Fabia
…ahead of the Hyundai i20, the Suzuki Swift,
Seat Ibiza and Skoda Fabia.
The medium segment is dominated, we’ve seen it, by the 3, Corolla and Cruze and they are followed by the Hyundai i30 and Skoda Octavia.PosCompact & Medium1Mazda32Toyota Corolla3Chevrolet Cruze4Hyundai i305Skoda Octavia
The Mazda6 is the best-selling large car…PosLarge1Mazda62Ford Mondeo3Subaru Legacy4Honda Accord5Opel Insignia
ahead of the Ford Mondeo, Subaru Legacy, Honda Accord and Opel Insignia.
The only segment not dominated by Mazda is the 4WD/SUV/Crossovers, where the Hyundai Tucson leads the way…PosSUV/4WD/Crossover1Hyundai Tucson2Toyota RAV43Suzuki Grand Vitara4Nissan Qashqai5Subaru Forester
…ahead of the Toyota RAV4, Suzuki Grand Vitara, Nissan Qashqai and Subaru Forester.
That’s all the official data I have!
Now for the much-awaited bit of trivia that will focus the spotlight on your proud smile in those high society dinners. Well. You need to know that the only other country in the world where the Mazda3 is/was the best-seller is Australia, where it held the pole position over the first 6 months of 2011 before being passed by the Holden Commodore in July.
There. No one will know. That you can be certain of it.
And if someone should know, then you smugly answer: “It’s not a Mazda. It’s Ma-zu-da in Japanese!”
Now you’re an expert.
All figures and rankings are sourced from es.autoblog.com
Matt Gasnier, based in Sydney, Australia, runs a blog named Best Selling Cars, dedicated to counting cars all over the world.
More by Matt Gasnier
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Marty S Corey, thanks for your comment. Mercedes has many different models, and will survive. Jaguar is planning on only offering electric models and will be in trouble. They should continue their ICE models as long as possible, but have discontinued the F-Type already and will probably be discontinuing everything else. We purchased the current XF this year, which is a nice car, but would have been splendid if they had just continued the supercharged V-6 in it.By the way, I have really enjoyed your Continental and Eldorado series. Was just showing it to my barber, who owned several 1954-56 Eldorado convertibles.
- Marques My father had one of these. A black 1984 Pulsar NX with a 5-speed stick and a grey interior. Dad always kept it in pristine shape-that black paint was shiny even in the middle of the night. I swear I could still smell the Rain Dance carnauba wax! The only issue that car ever had was that it was never driven enough-it would sit for 10 days at a time! The Hitachi carburetor on it(and other Nissans of the time) were known to be troublesome. It went to the boneyard at 72K miles when a hole got punched in the block. By that time the Pulsar had long ceased production.
- VoGhost This is the only new vehicle I have the slightest interest in.
- VoGhost I love it. Can't wait to get one. Finally, trucks are becoming actually capable, and it's great for America.
- Peter Just waiting for Dr. Who to show up with his Tardis, and send these things back to the hellish dark dimension from which they came.