China Car Exports Still Basket Case, Imports Nearly Double
There is one area where the feared Chinese export machine is way behind, and this is cars. According to data published by the China Association of Automobile manufacturers CAAM, 566,200 units were exported in 2010. At and in the same time, China imported 813,600 units.
According to the data, exports are up 53.17 percent. Export value of was $ 6.986 billion, an increase of only 34.68 percent. Even the CAAM must note that ”although vehicle exports in 2010 showed a resumption of growth, the total is still below the 2008 and 2007.”
This is illustrated by China’s top ten export destinations: Algeria (47,200 units), Syria (32,800 units), Vietnam (32,800 units), Russia (31,300 units), Chile (31,200 units), Iran (30,600 units), Egypt (30,000 units), Brazil (28,900 units), Bangladesh (25,300 units), and Iraq (24,200 units). China is selling cheap cars and trucks mostly into 3rd world countries.
On the import side, a totally different picture. The 813,600 imported vehicles reflect an increase of 93.33 percent. Total imports value was $30.64 billion up 99.73%. Value-wise, China imports more than four times the amounts of exports. Imports nearly doubled in China last year, both in units as in dollars.
Luxurious SUVs dominate with 351,400 units, followed by usually equally luxurious 343,700 cars. Amongst the import countries Japan leads with 254,800 units, followed by Germany with 239,300 units. The other countries where China likes to import from were Korea (87,400 units), United States (80,100 units), United Kingdom (43,300 units), Mexico (31,300 units), Slovakia (25,300 units), Belgium (10,700 units), Austria (10,500 units) and Portugal (6,500 units). Don’t be too proud of U.S. exports: If BMW exports an X3 to China, or if Toyota sells a Highlander here, it counts as a U.S. export.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Art_Vandelay “Fain also invited President Joe Biden to join the striking workers on the picket line”Yes. Please go on strike Joe. One of this Cosmo Kramer Bagel making strikes that lasts for a decade or so
- SCE to AUX No sitting President should visit a picket line.
- Scott So a sled manufacturer makes a sled on wheels. Where is the surprise?
- Add Lightness I had one of these for a company truck. It was also 2WD thankfully as part-by-part the truck got everything replaced over the course of a year. If it was 4WD, that would have just hurt the company more fixing the extra drivetrain.
- KOKing I like 2dr SUVs (I'm glad the new Bronco is available w 2 doors; it's MUCH better looking, and I'm finally seeing more of them on the road), but I've seen the Mexico-only 90s Ramcharger a couple of times and it has that same too-big rear window look that these old ones had.