What's Wrong With This Picture: Don't Call Me Alfa Edition
January 2nd, 2011 12:43 PM Share
If you had to guess what vehicle underpins this Guangzhou GAC Trumpchi, what would you guess? Here’s a hint: if you’re basing your answer on exterior styling, you will definitely get this one wrong…
… because underneath that Chinese designer’s take on the Toyota Avalon lies the platform from one of the more beautiful (if not wildly successful) sedans of the last ten years: the Alfa-Romeo 166. Bet you never saw that one coming! [via AutoBild]
Published January 2nd, 2011 12:42 PM
Join the conversation
3 of 19 comments
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Tassos There is nothing 'weird' about Finland's fine system. A few other nations have it too. Switzerland maybe, I am not sure.But you do not specify WHAT was that clown's income that required him to pay $120k for a speeding ticket?I am sure that for somebody like ELon Musk, $100k will barely operate his megayacht ONE LOUSY Day.
- Bkojote On paper, GMC is supposed to be the understated, more sophisticated member of the GM truck family.In actuality, GMC is total garbage in the truck world - by the time they're on their second owner they're decked out with amazon wheel spacers, pizza dish wheels, punisher stickers, and really angry opinions about any president who's won the popular vote in the past two decades. And man, these things are ugly as sin too.That's because GM trucks as a whole are kinda the also-rans in the truck category. Yeah, they do sales, but they aren't anyone's first choice. Not as extreme as the Ram, not as category defining as the Raptor, not as well engineered as a Toyota, so you end up with owners who compensate big time to distract others from the endless repair bills. The only owners I know who are worse are the rollin' coal lifted Super Duty drivers. Like you bought a GMC because the guy who sold you your wife's acadia is less scary than having to grovel for a Raptor and you take the Ford guys making fun of you personally.
- Tassos The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. I have mentioned this before, and it applies here again.Go to the U of Michigan College of Engineering parking lot. How can you say what car the $300,000 a year (ACADEMIC year of 9 months, mind you, summer pay is extra, and consulting a whole lot on top of that) and what does the $50,000 a year secretary drive?Hint: Teresa was out chair's secretary, started a year ago. She had to resign in just a few months because her 75 mile EACH WAY from her home in Lapeer MI to ANn Arbor MI just KILLED HER when gas prices rose.What car did Teresa drive? Take a wild guess. An F150? A Ram pickup? A Silverado? One of these. In a fee months she had to resign and find a lesser job in the whole lot lesser U of M Flint (but why would she care? she's just a secretary), which halved her commuting distance to a still significant 75 mile round trip every damned day.So the poor keep buying pickups and get poorer, and the rich keep NOT buying them and get richer.
- Cprescott It is ugly enough. But why? You refuse to build enough of your products for your consumers.
- Cprescott Only if your income also gives you more votes.
Its nice that any article about Alfa Romeo brings an rash of comments......There maybe a lot of love/hate opinions...but at least it shows that the marque is still newsworthy! and I hope worth saving!
Curse you, TTAC! As soon as I saw your posting a pic of the 166, I just HAD to go find one to buy. Come to find out, I can't!!!! May all your servers catastrophically fail at the same time.