From Venus To Everus: Foreign Makers Create Fake Chinese Brands
Japanese makers are jumping on the Made for China (or possibly Made for Export from China) trend that was started by GM with the Bao Jun.
Both Nissan and Honda are showing (allegedly) Made for China brands at the Guangzhou Auto Show.
Nissan’s joint venture with Dongfeng shows a concept car for its Venucia brand, or “Qi Chen” in Chinese.
Honda’s Chinese joint venture, Guangqi Honda, displays a protoytype under the new Li Nian (Everus in English) brand for the Chinese market.
“While these models are to be manufactured at the plants of the joint ventures, they do not carry the names of the Japanese makers,” notes The Nikkei [sub].
Speaking of names, the Qi Chen and the Li Nian also carry their non-Chinese brand names, which are (see below) carefully chosen. Another indicator that these cars are also intended for the export market, just like the Bao Jun?
According to the Nikkei, Toyota “is paying close attention to the new local brands.” Top brass at Toyota’s joint venture with FAW sent its troops to Guangzhou with marching orders “to take a close look at these proprietary brands.”
According to The Nikkei, Toyota showed a lower cost model to Chinese government officials at the opening ceremony for the new FAW-Toyota research center in Tianjin on July 5. I bet it looked something like this.
As far as Chinese branding goes, the Japanese are quick to adapt from the restrained and low key Japanese style to the more flowery and effusive Chinese speak. Quote from the Venucia press release.
“The brand name, “VENUCIA,” is derived from the Roman “Venus.” The five stars of the brand logo represent the company’s five brand promises. VENUCIA aims to respect customers, create value, do the best, achieve world-class quality, and seek the dream.”
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- SCE to AUX This is not a race worth winning.
- JMII These would sell better if they came with a service to drop it off (with new tires and brakes) at which ever track you decided to visit per weekend. While its small it still doesn't fit on a private jet and there aren't many tracks close to where your yacht can be docked. 1st world problems here.
- JMII Its an SUV so I am shocked they don't already offer it.
- Analoggrotto As we Tesla owners receive our life energy from the greatest son of the gods of all time, Elon Musk; His cherubs and His nephilim may remove whatever they wish from us for unto him we owe all for our superiority above all the rest of humanity.
- Kcflyer Nice to see California giving NY some competition to be the worst run state in the union.
I stand corrected, although Honda called the concept version of the S1 the Everus, so it's sort of understandable, I suppose.
Ah, I stand corrected, although Honda called the concept version of the S1 the Everus, so it's sort of understandable, I suppose.