Autoextremist: New Ferrari California is the End of Everything
Self-styled Autoextremist Peter DeLorenzo has few– as in no– kind words to lavish upon Maranello’s latest Parisian fashion. “For me, the Ferrari California is a derivative, uninspiring, design mishmash of creases and folds (and horrific dimestore-quality side vents) that lacks cohesion and imparts an overall feeling of cheapness when viewed in person that just cannot be swept under the rug.” So who’s sweeping? I mean, Sweet Pete must know that there are plenty of ugly, ungainly Ferraris in the brand’s canon. And what possible difference does that make to anyone, anyway? ‘Cause the new California is brand sacrilege! Not only is the car ugly, but “It could also be termed the first ‘parts bin’ Ferrari, as it shares pieces with the Maserati Coupe GT and Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione underneath (even though Ferrari insists that it’s ‘all Ferrari’).” And there’s another problem. “It’s also the first time that Ferrari has come up with a car blatantly designed to expand its production capacity for its burgeoning global reach in markets around the world.” And that puts Ferrari on the same path as Porsche, maker of SUVs and four-doors. What? “With the California, Ferrari’s iron-clad grip on its soul has started to slip. It may be imperceptible at this point, but the fact remains that they made the conscious decision to build a lesser Ferrari – and make no mistake that’s exactly what the new California is – and it will prove to be a defining moment in Ferrari history. As we like to say around here, Not Good.” As we like to say around here, drive the car.
More by Robert Farago
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Lachlan Anyone remember what happened the last time a senator named Hawley pushed a big tariff?
- Craiger I love the people who call Musk an imbecile. As if they could even get an interview for a job at one of his companies.
- Lou_BC I'm waiting for Tesla to make a pickup!
- Lou_BC Autograph? Turn Up the Radio?
- Oberkanone Were these available with diesel?At $3700 this Volvo presents nicer than other vehicles I see at this asking price.