CNBC's LeBeau: "Right Time To Buy An SUV? It Sure Is!"

Frank Williams
by Frank Williams
cnbcs lebeau right time to buy an suv it sure is

Before you start wondering about the color of the sky in CNBC's Phil LeBeau's private little world, the writer understands "that for many people (soccer moms, the guy putzing around the suburbs, etc) driving a gas guzzling SUV makes no sense." Whew! Phil's talking to those motorists who need an SUV's cargo, passenger or towing capacity; or off-road capability, due to job or locale. While TTAC Best and Brightest prepare to discuss the Marxist implications of needs vs. want, one thing's for sure: it's an SUV buyer's market out there. Kelly Blue Book prices for used SUVs are down more than $2.5k. Even so, you might want to hold off; they're expected to go lower as leases from 2005 vehicles start expiring and pump-shocked SUV refugees trade their behemoths for economy cars (no really). In an online poll, CNBC asks readers if they'd buy an SUV now. Almost half (49 percent) said "no." Of the remaining 51 percent, 13 percent said they'd "think about it," while 39 percent stated yes, they would buy one now. I guess there are still either a lot of "contractors, people in specialty trades, those who live in rural areas where the roads can get dicey at times" or gas prices aren't high enough to prise the keys from SUV fans' cold, dead fingers.

Join the conversation
4 of 24 comments
  • Ghillie Ghillie on Jun 17, 2008
    TaxedAndConfused : June 17th, 2008 at 4:43 am @rtz Go for a euro-spec hatchback Diesel and you can out-mileage a Pious, Smart or pretty much anything. Diesels cause cancer

  • Johnny ro Johnny ro on Jun 17, 2008

    Diesels are un-American.

  • Ghillie Ghillie on Jun 17, 2008

    Diesels should come with a health warning - such as a skull and crossbones on the fuel filler flap

  • Dwmatty Dwmatty on Jul 28, 2008

    My wife wants an SUV with 3rd row seating. After looking and researching, we decided on the Honda Pilot. Several local dealers have leftover 2008's and even 2007's. We're wondering how low they will go, especially on the 07's.