Germany’s Schaeffler AG will reportedly be eliminating 4,400 jobs and abandoning several facilities in its home country as the supplier confronts what it dubbed complications relating to the global pandemic. Like Continental, which is actually controlled by the same people, Schaeffler has been coping with lessened demand after automakers around the globe shut down earlier this year as a precautionary measure. While the coronavirus lockdowns can’t be faulted for every issue the companies are facing, they have been a thorn in the side of parts suppliers everywhere.
Continental announced it would need to eliminate roughly 13 percent of its workforce last week. That’s roughly 30,000 fewer jobs. Schaeffler’s restructuring plan only calls for eliminating 4,000 positions. However, it is the smaller of the two and has decided to spread its cuts out as much as possible.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- SCE to AUX "I spent a good chunk of my 20s wanting one"I spent a good chunk of my 40s wanting one, especially in the blue color they used at launch. But the interior is too butch for me, and boy do they drink gas.
- Sloomis I suspect this is more of a big city vs rural area divide than a state by state divide. I live in the 'burbs of a large Midwestern city and I see loads of EVs everyday. I'd bet you'll see the same in other Midwestern cities. Rural areas of those same states, not so much. And sparsely populated states like WY and SD are of course are going to have low EV sales, the infrastructure isn't there.
- JMII Why Toyota stopped making these or didn't introduce a revised one I'll never know. I am not an off-roader guy but given the demand for the new Bronco an updated FJ would sell like hot-cakes.
- Ajla I think I'd rather have a new Civic or Corolla.
- MaintenanceCosts These have a very devoted fan base. You won't lose much money.But they're still part of this massive off-road trend and I'm sick of all of it. I don't drive off road, I don't want to be sitting three feet off the ground, I don't want horrible handling and stopping behavior, and I don't want to convey "angry roid bro" with my vehicle.