Used Car of the Day: 2001 Mercedes-Benz ML430
If you want to get into a Mercedes-Benz cheap, just wait 20+ years for depreciation to kick in.
OK, that's a bit harsh. But here we have an example of a cheap-but-old MB SUV.
This 2001 Mercedes-Benz ML430 has some issues, but it's also attainable at $3,600.
The bad seems to be that a few warning lights are on, the power steering seems to not work when idling, and the key fob doesn't work. There's also an issue with the blend door that seems to keep the heat from flowing, so maybe Snow Belters should avoid this California car (unless, of course, you're willing to fix it).
The good? It has all-wheel drive, apparently drives well, low range works, some key parts have been recently replaced, and all the interior electronics apparently work. It also recently passed the state's smog check.
There are over 164K miles on the clock.
If this sort of thing tickles your fancy, check it out here.
Become a TTAC insider. Get the latest news, features, TTAC takes, and everything else that gets to the truth about cars first by subscribing to our newsletter.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- KevinB Starbucks for a doppio espresso and gruyere and bacon egg bites in the morning, and a salt caramel cold brew in the afternoon, because I am eating and drinking myself silly at my destination.
- MaintenanceCosts The previous generation is one of the best ways in the last 20 years to enjoy flagship-level luxury in complete anonymity.This generation is all tacky ostentation and I'd feel embarrassed to be seen in one.
- Gene I agree that sedans sell well. Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. I was very disappointed when Ford and Lincoln dropped Sedans and coupes (other than the Mustang that I have for summer weekends). I don't know where I'm going to buy my next "car". Sorry, no pick-up, suv, cuv , pms or xyz's for me. Gone thru that already.
- Inside Looking Out "it's a Bolt that has Ampera badging and the Ampera grille." EVs do not have grills.
- Inside Looking Out "Dmitry Medvedev recently took a trip to China and praised the country’s cars as being on par with Mercedes-Benz."That's all you need to know about Medvedev. He is not trustworthy because it is lie.
$3600 buys it, another 10k keeps it running. I'd rather an Explorer or TrailBlazer with 200k on the Odo for the same money.
A family member was given an ML of this vintage by another family member. It seemed like a nice gesture until the repair bills came flooding in.
I do remember that the car needed a replacement fuse box - and I also remember saying that I've never heard of a car fuse box failing and needing replacement.
The car was gone shortly after that.