Used Car of the Day: 1988 Ford Thunderbird
Today's UCOTD is a project car. It's a 1988 Ford Thunderbird that the seller is asking just $1,000 for.
There's little info in the listing. The seller writes a variation of the famous line "ran when parked" and furthermore indicates that there are 155,000 on the clock. He or she also says that the reason the car is for sale is that the seller has too many projects to work on.
Since we don't have a lot to work with here -- though the pictures do show the car is in rough shape -- I am going to tell a quick story. Someone who lives or works in my neighborhood drives a 90-something T-bird and it's in pretty fair shape. It's making part of me want a Thunderbird to tool around in.
Maybe not badly enough to buy this car -- $1K is cheap, but a drop in the bucket compared to the money needed to restore it -- but at least enough to get me to spend some more time on this forum.
Click here if you're itching for a new project car.
Become a TTAC insider. Get the latest news, features, TTAC takes, and everything else that gets to the truth about cars first by subscribing to our newsletter.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Bullnuke Chief Transition Officer, eh? And the term "Lean Manufacturing" being spoken... Is that the sound of the headsman's axe being ground sharp that I hear in the background? Brings back memories of the late '00s at my old OEM coatings plant.
- BEPLA At the right price, would be a great EV conversion candidate.
- BEPLA In other news: It costs more to eat out than to eat at home.
- Kwik_Shift I like, because I don't have to look at them. Just by feel and location while driving.
- Dwford This is the last time we are making these, so you better hurry up and buy (until the next time we make them, that is)
Looks like a decent foundation for resto-rod T Bird. Yank the weak turbo 4, drop in a hotted up 347 Windsor, clean up the interior and exterior and kill the rattle can'd black wheels. If the underpinnings are sound, you'd have a cool and fast T Bird for under 10k.
As a fan of G-Bodies, this Thunderbird profile is a beaut!