Porsche Provides New Features Within Apple CarPlay
While certain other companies (ahem, General Motors, ahem) are busy and inexplicably running away from Apple CarPlay, brands like Porsche are making a concerted effort to further integrate the tool into their vehicles.
It makes sense, since CarPlay – and Android Auto – are not new software but instead extensions of tools with which most of the public is intimately familiar since many tend to shove their faces into their phones 200 times per day. At present, many permutations of these systems force users to pop back out of the device interface and back into the vehicle’s native display just to complete a task like adjusting ventilation settings on-screen.
The fact one could have done the same in a fraction of a second with HVAC physical dials and knobs is a conversation for another post. We digress.
Porsche feels it can do better than the current digital status quo. The updated My Porsche App combines vehicle functions with the CarPlay experience, including the ability to show images of the specific model – which is apparently very important to Porsche owners, don’tcha know. Some core vehicle functions may be adjusted in this manner, including audio settings like sound profiles, changing radio stations, adjusting settings for climate control, and fiddling with the all-important ambient lighting. Note the time stamp on these images from Porsche is 9:11. Well played.
Cynics will opine this is some sort of path to data gathering, and they may have a point. In order to set up the system, one may scan a QR code on the car’s touchscreen so the CarPlay experience can be properly upgraded from its current limitations. Still, this author thinks it is a better plan than the road GM is taking, binning these tools for one of their own design. As an aside, reports are surfacing that dealers are vacillating between alarmed and unimpressed about The General’s efforts so far, saying they don’t know the new system’s name and benefits have yet to be outlined.
Become a TTAC insider. Get the latest news, features, TTAC takes, and everything else that gets to the truth about cars first by subscribing to our newsletter.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Bullnuke It may be awhile before these show up on US shores. The MV Fremantle Highway has just started demo/reconstruction in Rotterdam after the large fire when transporting its last shipment of electric Porsche products.
- Fie on Fiasler Big, fast and thirsty does not equal good. True luxury is not cobbled together by the UAW.
- Inside Looking Out I see it as gladiator races - only one survives in virtual world.
- Crown They need to put the EcoDiesel back in the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2018 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 69,000 miles and only needed tires, and regular oil and fuel filter changes.
- El scotto Y'all are overthinking this. Find some young hard-charging DA seeking the TV limelight to lock this kid up. Heck, have John Boehner come up from Cincy to help the young DA get his political career going. Better yet, have the young DA spin this as hard as he or she can; I'm the candidate for Law and Order, I defied our go-easy office and leadership to get this identified criminal locked up. Oh this could be spun more than a hyper active kid's top.Now I'd do some consulting work for Little Kings Original Cream Ale and Skyline Chili.